A leopard has killed a five-year-old boy in central India in what is thought to be the beast’s second such deadly attack, police said on Wednesday.
The animal attacked the boy on Monday evening while he was going to the toilet in the courtyard of his home in Mendrapara village in Chhattisgarh state, said senior district police officer Vijay Pandey.
His family raised the alarm after seeing the animal drag the boy away, sparking a search by villagers who discovered the body, Pandey told AFP.
He said the same beast killed a 10-year-old boy last December near Ram Tekri village in the same area, and is also believed to have attacked livestock.
“The forest department has already launched a massive haunt to capture the leopard,” he said.
The area where the attacks occurred is close to the Achanakmar Tiger Reserve, home to some 12 tigers as well as leopards.
About a third of Chhattisgarh is forested, but destruction of native habitat and encroaching villages result in increasing contact between wild animals and humans.
India’s leopard population was put at 1,150 in a census in 2011. But conservationists have warned it is at risk as a result of rampant poaching for leopard skins.
Alabama Republican: ‘I want to see more people’ get coronavirus
On Thursday, Alabama Senate President Pro Tempore Del Marsh suggested that he wanted more people to get coronavirus — because he thinks America would develop "herd immunity" and reduce the spread enough to protect more vulnerable populations.
"I'm not as concerned so much as the number of cases. In fact, quite honestly, I want to see more people, because we start reaching an immunity the more people have it and get through it," said Marsh. "I don't want any deaths, as few as possible, say, I get it, but those people who are susceptible to the disease, especially more serious pre-existing conditions, elderly population, those folks, we need to, you know, do all we can to protect them. But I'm not concerned, I want to make sure that everybody can receive care."
The Secretary of Defense was briefed on Russian bounty on American soldiers — proving it isn’t the hoax Trump said it was
Last week, President Donald Trump finally heard the news that the Russian government was giving cash to Afghanistan's Taliban forces to murder American soldiers.
Initially, he began with Step one in the Trump list of processing a scandal: denial.
"Nobody briefed or told me, @VP Pence, or Chief of Staff @MarkMeadows about the so-called attacks on our troops in Afghanistan by Russians, as reported through an "anonymous source" by the Fake News @nytimes. Everybody is denying it & there have not been many attacks on us. Nobody's been tougher on Russia than the Trump Administration. With Corrupt Joe Biden & Obama, Russia had a field day, taking over important parts of Ukraine - Where's Hunter? Probably just another phony Times hit job, just like their failed Russia Hoax. Who is their 'source'?" tweeted Trump on June 28.
Here’s why Trump contradicted his own White House on the Supreme Court rulings
Following the Supreme Court's pair of 7-2 decisions rejecting President Donald Trump's claim to have absolute immunity from subpoenas, he blasted the ruling on Twitter, claiming he being unfairly targeted and the victim of "prosecutorial misconduct." However, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany released a statement saying that "President Trump is gratified by today’s decision."