Quantcast
Connect with us

United Nations court to hear genocide dispute between Croatia and Serbia

Published

on

The UN’s highest International Court of Justice is to hear arguments next month in a long-running genocide case that threatens to sour relations between Croatia and Serbia.

The Hague-based ICJ “will hold public hearings in the case concerning Croatia vs Serbia from Monday March 3 to Tuesday, April 1,” it said in a statement Friday.

Croatia in 1999 dragged Serbia to the ICJ on genocide charges relating to Zagreb’s 1991-95 war of independence following the collapse of the former Yugoslavia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Croatia accused Serbia of “ethnic cleansing” which it said was “a form of genocide which resulted in large numbers of Croatian citizens being displaced, killed, tortured or illegally detained, as well as extensive property destruction.”

Some 20,000 people died as a result of the war.

Zagreb wants judges to order Belgrade to pay damages “to persons and properties as well as to the Croatian economy and environment… a sum to be determined by the court.”

Belgrade responded with a countersuit, saying some 200,000 ethnic Serbs were forced to flee in 1995 when Zagreb launched a military operation to retake its territory.

Known as Operation Storm, ethnic Serb numbers in the region dwindled from 12 percent before the war to four percent after the operation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Belgrade was outraged in 2012 when Operation Storm’s Croatian military commander, Ante Gotovina, was acquitted on appeal by the Hague-based International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).

So far the ICJ, which rules in disputes against countries, has recognised only one genocide case since opening its doors in 1946.

In 2007 it ruled that genocide took place in mid-1995, at Srebrenica in neighbouring Bosnia, when almost 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered by Bosnian Serb troops after they overran a UN-protected enclave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Their bodies were subsequently dumped in mass graves in the worst slaughter on European soil since the Second World War.

The ICJ however also ruled that Bosnia had failed to prove the involvement of the Serbian state in the massacre.

ADVERTISEMENT

Both Zagreb and Belgrade have said previously that it would consider withdrawing the cases before the ICJ if certain conditions were met.

However, Serbia’s outgoing Trade Minister Rasim Ljajic said last week that it was “too late for a political agreement” on withdrawal of the complaints and that “apparently there was no political courage in Croatia” for that, Beta news agency quoted him as saying.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Frat boys expelled from Sigma Chi after video shows them mocking George Floyd’s death

Published

on

A fraternity at the University of Arkansas is condemning a video that reportedly shows students mocking the death of George Floyd, 4029 News reports.

"Our nation is hurting with the death of George Floyd and what it signifies for many people," a UA statement read. "Mocking a senseless tragedy is not something to take lightly and this incident is under investigation."

The Omega Omega Chapter of Sigma Chi claims the incident was not connected to the fraternity, but has nevertheless expelled the people who appeared in the video.

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Italy leads Europe reopening borders as virus strikes Latin America

Published

on

Italy led European nations reopening borders on Wednesday as the continent slowly emerged from quarantines to restart battered economies even as the coronavirus pandemic carved its deadly path through Latin America.

European nations among the hardest hit by the outbreak have mostly flattened out infection curves and turned to the tricky task of balancing economic recovery against the risk of a second wave of cases.

The United States, with the highest death toll, and Latin America have emerged as new centers for infections of COVID-19 that has killed more than 380,000 people worldwide since it first emerged in China late last year.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Andrew McCabe blisters Rod Rosenstein as ‘willing accessory’ to Trump’s efforts to ‘rewrite history’ of Russia probe

Published

on

Former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe strongly denied that he misled Rod Rosenstein, the former deputy director of the Department of Justice.

Rosenstein told the Senate Judiciary Committee that McCabe had not been forthcoming about memos that former FBI director James Comey had compiled regarding his conversations with President Donald Trump.

"Mr. McCabe was not fully candid with me, certainly wasn’t forthcoming,” Rosenstein told senators. “In particular, senator, with regard to Comey’s memorandum of his interviews with the president and with regard to the FBI’s suspicions about the president.”

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image