(Reuters) – The United States has agreed to drop charges of sexual assault brought against an Army general in exchange for him pleading guilty to lesser charges including “mistreatment” of his accuser, a junior officer, the general’s lawyer said on Sunday.
Under the terms of an agreement with military prosecutors, the government will drop sex assault charges against Brigadier General Jeffrey Sinclair as well as two other charges that would have forced him to register as a sex offender, attorney Richard Scheff said in an email.
Military prosecutors did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Sinclair, 51, had been charged with forcible sodomy based on allegations by a female U.S. Army captain that could have sent the 27-year Army veteran to prison for life.
(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere in New York; Additional reporting by Colleen Jenkins; editing by Scott Malone and Matthew Lewis)