Extreme weather conditions are hitting coffee production in Vietnam, the world’s largest exporter of low-end robusta beans used in instant coffee, an industry official said Friday.
Severe cold and drought saw Vietnam’s coffee production in the 2013-2014 crop tumble eight percent on the year before, Do Ha Nam, Vice President of the Vietnam Coffee-Cocoa Association (VICOFA) told AFP.
Higher-quality arabica beans have also been severely affected by continuing low temperatures in the north of the country, he said.
Crops in the main robusta-growing region, in the communist country’s Central Highlands, were also hit by a drought last year.
“The cold has severely hit coffee production in recent months in the northwest province of Son La where 1,300 hectares of (arabica) coffee — more than 10 percent of its total production — were damaged,” Nam said.
“Coffee production for the 2013-14 crop was 1.37 million tons, down eight percent compared to the previous season,” he added.
In 2012, Vietnam exported 1.73 million tons of coffee, worth some $3.67 billion and accounting for more than 50 percent of the world’s robusta, which is used in instant coffee or other blends.
“The drought especially hit coffee production in the first quarter of 2013, with more than 34,000 hectares affected in the Central Highlands,” Nam said.
Vietnam is the world’s second-largest coffee producer and is seen as high volume rather than high quality — its bitter-tasting robusta wins few accolades internationally and is mostly exported as raw beans.
But robusta prices hit a nine-month peak at the start of March and arabica-quality coffee has surged close to 60 percent in value since the start of the year due to a drought in Brazil — the world’s biggest coffee producer and exporter.
A Ho Chi Minh City-based coffee trader for a major international firm remained optimistic that the adverse weather.
“It’s dry season — so you always have dry weather,” the trader told AFP, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“It is completely normal. It (a drought) could still happen but we will only know in four or five weeks if the rains don’t come,” the trader added.
Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying threat from coronavirus: report
Major Fox News personalities like Sean Hannity spent weeks assuring viewers that the novel coronavirus wasn't a serious threat. In recent weeks, however, they have shifted to a different narrative, acknowledging that the virus is dangerous but giving President Donald Trump credit for taking action and criticizing Democrats' lack of action — even though many Democrats, in fact, warned the pubic first.
But according to The Daily Beast, even as there is no clear end to the crisis in sight, and even as the U.S. crosses 13,000 deaths, many Fox News hosts are going back to downplaying the virus, either telling viewers it wasn't as bad as advertised and urging the president to end public safety measures against it.
The dangers of Trump TV: MSNBC host hammers Fox News as ‘genuine public health threat’ amid pandemic
Tuesday night, Fox News decided that all anyone needed to do is to pump Americans with a Malaria drug and send them back to work to save President Donald Trump's economy.
Speaking Wednesday night, MSNBC host Chris Hayes bashed the conservative network for downplaying the seriousness of coronavirus, saying that they are "a genuine public health threat."
While Trump has advisers like Dr. Anthony Fauci, he also has the unofficial advisers he sees on Fox News.
They "are coalescing around the idea the whole thing is just overblown and we need to pump everyone full of the malaria drug and get them back to work. This is what you heard if you watch trump tv just last night," Hayes said. He then played clips illustrating exactly that, with hosts ranting and raving about the virus not being as serious as the flu.
‘Don’t let him rewrite history’: GOP ex-congressman slams Trump for painting fewer than 100,000 COVID-19 deaths as a victory
At Wednesday's coronavirus task force press conference, President Donald Trump reiterated his claim that if fewer than 100,000 Americans die from COVID-19, it will be a victory for him.
Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-IL) had none of it.
He ignored the warnings. He ignored the scientists & doctors. He refused to prepare. He lied about the virus. This country wasn’t ready. People got sick. People died. People lost their jobs. Because he cared more about himself than the country.
Don’t let him rewrite history. https://t.co/9snqoJ1VQI