Quantcast
Connect with us

Six dead and 290 missing reported after South Korean ferry sinking

Published

on

South Korean rescuers and dive teams worked frantically under floodlights as fears rose for nearly 300 people missing after a ferry sank Wednesday with 475 on board, mostly high school students bound for a holiday island.

Yonhap news agency said 179 people had been rescued, citing national coastguard officials, leaving 290 unaccounted for. There were six confirmed deaths, including a female crew member and a student.

There are concerns the death toll could rise sharply. The 6,825-tonne Sewol listed violently, capsized and finally sank — all within two hours of sending a distress signal at 9:00am (0000 GMT).

“I’m afraid there’s little chance for those trapped inside still to be alive,” one senior rescue team official, Cho Yang-Bok, told YTN television as divers struggled to access the submerged multi-deck ferry.

Dramatic television footage showed terrified passengers wearing life jackets clambering into inflatable boats with water lapping over the rails of the vessel as it sank 20 kilometres (13 miles) off the southern island of Byungpoong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Some slid down the steeply inclined side of the ferry and into the water as rescuers, including the crew of what appeared to be a small fishing boat, pulled them to safety.

As night fell, the coastguard said the rescue operation was continuing using floodlights and underwater flares.

“We won’t give up, although the situation is extremely worrying,” a coastguard spokesman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Several rescued passengers said they had initially been told to remain in their cabins and seats, but then the ferry listed hard to one side, triggering panic.

– Told ‘not to move’ –

“The crew kept telling us not to move,” one male survivor told the YTN news channel.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Then it suddenly shifted over and people slid to one side and it became very difficult to get out,” he added.

The passengers included 375 students from a high school in Ansan just south of Seoul, who were travelling with 14 of their teachers to the popular island resort of Jeju, Yonhap said.

“I feel so pained to see students on a school trip… face such a tragic accident. I want you to pour all your energy into this mission,” President Park Geun-Hye said on a visit to the national disaster agency’s situation room in Seoul.

ADVERTISEMENT

Many of the survivors were plucked from the water by fishing and other commercial vessels who were first on the scene before a flotilla of coastguard and navy ships arrived, backed by more than a dozen helicopters.

Lee Gyeong-Og, the vice minister of security and public administration, said 178 divers, including a team of South Korean navy SEALS, were working at the site, but low water visibility and strong currents were hampering their efforts.

The U.S. 7th Fleet sent an amphibious assault ship on patrol in the area to help while White House spokesman Jay Carney said Washington was ready to provide its ally with “any assistance” needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

One local official, who had taken a boat to the site an hour after the distress signal was sent, said he was “very concerned” about those still missing.

“The ship was already almost totally submerged when I got there. A lot of people must have been trapped,” the official, who declined to be identified, told AFP by phone.

The cause of the accident in fine weather was not immediately clear, although rescued passengers reported the ferry coming to a sudden, shuddering halt — indicating it may have run aground.

ADVERTISEMENT

– ‘A big thumping sound’ –

“I heard a big thumping sound and the boat suddenly started to tilt,” one rescued student said.

Another spoke of luggage and vending machines crashing down on passengers as the vessel tipped over.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Everyone was screaming and a lot of people were bleeding badly,” he said.

Distraught parents gathered at the high school in Ansan, desperate for news, with some yelling at school officials while others repeatedly tried to call their children’s mobiles.

“I’m so worried about my son,” said one father, Lee Ki-Hong. “I texted him an hour before the ship sank, but there has been no reply,” he told YTN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Survivors were taken to a gymnasium on nearby Jindo island, where relatives of the missing, wrapped in blankets against the cold, were holding what looked set to be a night-long vigil on the quay of the main harbour.

Three giant floating cranes had been despatched to the site and would begin operations to raise the submerged vessel tomorrow, officials said.

Scores of ferries ply the waters between the South Korean mainland and its multiple offshore islands every day, and accidents are relatively rare.

ADVERTISEMENT

In one of the worst incidents, nearly 300 people died when a ferry capsized off the west coast in October 1993.

Watch a report on the rescue efforts, as aired on CNN on Wednesday, below.

ADVERTISEMENT

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Kim Jong-un threatens to restart nuke tests as Trump’s efforts to talk to the regime fall apart again: report

Published

on

On Tuesday, CNN's Brian Todd reported that the North Korean regime is on the brink of rescinding what little they promised President Donald Trump, as the future of his efforts to continue talks appear uncertain.

"Kim Jong-un's regime is once again in negotiation by intimidation," said Todd. "Just two weeks after their historic meeting at the DMZ, and President Trump's short stroll into North Korea, North Korea's dictator Kim Jong-un appears to be threatening to start testing his nuclear weapons again. In a new statement, Kim's foreign ministry calls the joint U.S./South Korean military exercises planned for next month a breach of the main spirit of what President Trump and Kim agreed to in Singapore, and says, 'We are gradually losing our justifications to follow through on the commitments we made with the U.S."

Continue Reading

Facebook

Republican freaks out after Democrat quotes Trump’s racist statement on the floor of Congress

Published

on

Chaos continued on the floor of the House of Representatives during the debate on a resolution condemning President Donald Trump's racist attacks on four young women of color.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) rose to support the resolution, listing multiple instances of racism from the commander-in-chief.

As part of the list, Swalwell noted Trump's attacks on "sh*thole countries."

After he swore on the floor by quoting the president, Republicans freaked out.

Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA) complained and got in a back-and-forth with Swalwell.

Collins sought to have Swalwell's words stricken from the Congressional Record, which would have banned him from speaking for the rest of the day.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

‘It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic’: Nicolle Wallace recalls the Republicans who once denounced Trump’s racism

Published

on

MSNBC anchor Nicolle Wallace on Tuesday let loose on the Republican Party for refusing to stand up against President Donald Trump's racism.

Following President Donald Trump's racist attacks on four young women of color in Congress, the House of Representatives is debating a resolution to condemn the commander-in-chief's racism.

Not a single Republican voted to allow debate on the anti-racism resolution.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image