By Marty Graham
SAN DIEGO California (Reuters) – New sexual abuse charges against a former top administrator of a southern California military boarding school for boys were unsealed on Friday in a California state court.
Jeffrey Barton, 56, who was charged with 16 counts of sexual abuse in October, pleaded not guilty to the new indictment, which added seven new charges and one new victim.
“This is a serious sexual abuse case spanning three decades, three schools and seven victims,” Deputy District Attorney Tracey Prior said.
In the new indictment filed in San Diego Superior Court on Friday, Barton was charged with sexually assaulting four students of the Army and Navy Academy in Carlsbad, California, between the seventh and ninth grades at his private cottage and on various field trips, including instances where he used prescription drugs to incapacitate his victims.
One victim testified before a grand jury that while he and another student were on a snowboarding trip with Barton in 1997, he awoke feeling paralyzed to the sight of Barton sodomizing the other boy, Prior said in court.
The assaults charged in the indictment occurred between 1996 and 2001, Prior said. The individuals are now between the ages of 28 and 42 years old.
Barton was initially charged in October with sexually abusing two students from the academy based on testimony given by seven individuals who said they were victimized. Three had gone to similar schools in South Carolina and Tennessee where Barton had previously worked.
Judge Kathleen Lewis raised Barton’s bail from $3 million to $6 million in light of the new allegations.
Barton’s attorneys argued that the charges, secured by a secret grand jury, left him without the right to cross-examine those who testified.
“Mr. Barton was promised an opportunity to have a preliminary hearing so we can test the veracity of the allegations against him. This violates Mr. Barton’s right to a preliminary hearing and his federal rights to due process,” said defense attorney Daniel Greene.
“These are horrible allegations and now Mr. Barton has been denied the opportunity to confront his accusers and defend himself.”
Prior said however that the secret grand jury process was done only to protect the victims.
“It is only about the victims in this case,” Deputy District Attorney Prior said. “We are trying to get them closer the closure they need.”
(Editing by Curtis Skinner)
Watch Joy Reid’s epic correction of GOP strategist: ‘This is going to be a white nationalist reelection’
President Donald Trump will continue to attack the four young women of color in Congress known as The Squad, MSNBC anchor Joy Reid predicted on Friday.
Trump has repeatedly used racist attacks to target the four, who are Representatives Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), Ilhan Omar (D-MN), Ayanna Pressley (D-MA), and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).
Host Steve Kornacki interviewed Republican strategist Noelle Nikpour about Trump's message.
"So Noelle, for Republicans, again the folks who were getting in touch with [Mike] Pence and saying 'make Trump stop doing this,' do they have to be ready now for the possibility Trump’s going to keep doing these rallies, he wants to run against these four congresswomen in particular, make them the face of the Democratic Party?" Kornacki asked. "If the crowd starts chanting again, 'send her back,' 'send them back,” doesn't stop, is this going to be a feature of Trump rallies from here through 2020?"
Trump hates women of color for birthing babies keeping him from ‘making America white again’: MSNBC analyst
President Donald Trump's loathing of women of color is driven by the fact he hates the babies they birth, a Rutgers University professor argued on MSNBC on Friday.
"The Beat" anchor Ari Melber interviewed Prof. Brittney Cooper about Trump's racist attacks on four young women of color in Congress.
"Look, the thing that bothers me about Trump and his cronies is that they have a long history of attacking women of color, and it’s really important to say these comments are not just racist, they’re also deeply sexist," Cooper explained.
"They don't just attack people of color, they also specifically go after women of color," she continued.
Hope Hicks’ testimony ‘appears to be false’ — and Democrats have a plan to prove it: Judiciary member
Former White House communications director Hope Hicks likely lied to Congress -- and Democrats have a plan to prove it, a Democrat on the House Judiciary said on MSNBC on Friday.
Anchor Peter Alexander interviewed Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) about potential perjury by Hicks, who was a close confidant of Trump during his campaign, transition, and administration.
"It has been several months since President Trump’s former fixer Michael Cohen testified that President Trump directed him to pay hush-money payments to adult film star Stephanie Clifford, also known as Stormy Daniels, but new documents muddy the waters a bit for former White House communications director Hope Hicks, who testified to the House Judiciary Committee that she had no knowledge of the payments before they were made," Alexander reported.