Venezuelan riot police detain hundreds after demolishing Occupy-style protest encampments
Venezuelan authorities demolished four protest camps and detained 243 people early Thursday, striking at the remaining bastions of a months-long and at times deadly anti-government protest movement.
Riot police swept through the camps in surprise raids that began at 3 pm, Minister Miguel Rodriguez Torres said, claiming the sites occupied by students were “being used by more violent groups to commit terrorist acts.”
He said 243 people were apprehended and would now be questioned to determine whether they should be prosecuted.
Lawyer and human rights activist Elenis Rodriguez said “very few young people were able to escape the onslaught.”
At least 41 people have died and more than 700 have been injured since students and other opponents of the government took to the country’s streets in February to protest rampant crime, runaway inflation and shortages of basic goods.
Over the past month, the protest movement has largely been concentrated in Occupy-style encampments in Caracas, with the main one set up opposite the office of the United Nations Development Program in an upscale part of town.
That site — which consisted of hundreds of tents and blocked three of six lanes of a major thoroughfare — was left in shambles by the raid.
Rodriguez Torres said police seized drugs, weapons, explosives, mortars, grenades and gas canisters during the raids — “everything you would use to confront the security forces on a daily basis.”
Forensic teams have been sent to the sites “to collect all the evidence and present it in court in order to prosecute all those that should be prosecuted,” the minister added.
Student leader Juan Requesens vowed the demonstrations would continue despite the pre-dawn raid and detentions.
“The students will pursue their fight for rights,” he said.
– Key hearing delayed –
The police action came just hours before an announcement that a hearing for jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez, set for Thursday, had been postponed.
“The tribunal has deferred the preliminary hearing for Leopoldo Lopez, who has again been transferred to the Ramo Verde military prison,” said a statement from Lopez’s Popular Will party.
The announcement did not specify a new court date.
“What are they afraid of? Of the truth? They know I should be freed,” the party, via Twitter, quoted Lopez as saying.
The Harvard-educated economist has been in custody at a military jail since February 18 for allegedly inciting deadly violence during the anti-government protests. He was arrested in the midst of a massive opposition rally.
The arrests of Lopez and other opposition leaders have stoked the demonstrations, and their release was one of the conditions set by the opposition in talks aimed at ending the crisis.
The talks have suffered stops and starts since they began, with some sessions postponed at the last minute.
In that vein, Vice President Jorge Arreaza indicated late Wednesday that negotiations planned for that day would instead take place “next week.”
Maduro, narrowly elected last year to succeed late longtime leader Hugo Chavez, has described the protests as a coup attempt in this oil-rich OPEC nation, which has seen inflation of near 60 percent amid widespread shortages of basic goods.
Most economic analysts blame the South American country’s problems on a decade of rigid currency and price controls, as well rising debt, dependence on imports and stagnant economic growth.