Quantcast
Connect with us

South Korea to donate warship to Philippines as tensions increase with China

Published

on

South Korea will donate a corvette warship to the poorly-equipped Philippine navy amid growing tensions — particularly with China — over maritime territorial disputes in the region, the government said Thursday.

The “Pohang-class corvette” will be decommissioned by the end of the year and donated to the Philippines, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila said in a statement issued this week.

It was unclear if the donation would include the ship’s weapons systems.

South Korean Defence Minister Kim Kwang-jin informed his Filipino counterpart Voltaire Gazmin of the donation during his visit to Seoul on May 30, the statement added.

The gift follows South Korea’s recent donation of a landing craft and 16 rubber boats to the Philippines, it added.

ADVERTISEMENT

“South Korea’s gesture is a small token compared with the great contribution of Filipino troops during the Korean War,” the South Korean minister was quoted as saying.

Officials at the Manila’s foreign ministry and the South Korean embassy could not be contacted for comment.

The donation comes as the Philippines is facing increasing pressure from China over their conflicting claims to the South China Sea.

ADVERTISEMENT

China claims most of South China Sea even up to the coasts of its neighbours and the Philippines has increasingly accused its larger neighbour of using bullying tactics to enforce its claim.

The Philippines, which has one of the most poorly-armed militaries in the region, has been upgrading its defence capabilities in recent years.

It has also been improving its defence relations with South Korea and in March, it signed an agreement to buy 12 South Korean-made FA-50 jets for about $421.12 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Black man and realtor handcuffed for ‘forced entry’ into property’s open house: lawyers

Published

on

On Tuesday, the Daily Mail reported that Anthony Edwards has filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Cincinnati and three police officers after he and his real estate agent, Jerry Isham, were handcuffed and detained at gunpoint last year while touring an open house.

The police were summoned by Thomas Branigan, a retired police officer living next door, who called 911 to report them as home invaders and said they had "forced entry" into the house. He later admitted he did not have a view of the door at the time.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rob Reiner has the perfect plan for the GOP and Trump’s ‘N-word tapes’ from ‘The Apprentice’

Published

on

For years, there have been rumors about the existence of unbroadcast tapes from NBC's "The Apprentice" that are said to document Donald Trump using the N-word.

Actor Tom Arnold has been pushing the idea.

While conventional wisdom may once of held that such a release would be a political catastrophe for a president, the release could actually help Trump in his 2020 re-election campaign, director Rob Reiner argued on Tuesday.

"I’ve heard there are tapes of Trump using the N-word during his time on The Apprentice. Based on the GOP’s support of his racism, they should ask producer Mark Burnett to release the tapes to boost the support of his base," Reiner tweeted.

Continue Reading
 

CNN

‘You have to think about it?’ Kris Kobach goes down in epic flames when CNN’s Cuomo asks if he’d vote for a racist

Published

on

Kris Kobach went down in flames going up against CNN host Chris Cuomo on Tuesday, as the Kansas Republican attempted to "explain" what President Donald Trump "really said" about the four congresswomen of color he attacked Sunday.

Cuomo read Trump's quotes aloud asking if they were racist.

"Now you're editorializing it," Kobach said. "The problem with Twitter, it's 140 characters and since it's so vague--"

As a point of fact, Trump used three tweets to say what he said about the women, not editing it down to 280 characters.

"He said the words," Cuomo fact-checked.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image