Quantcast
Connect with us

Sri Lankan military vows to tackle online hate speech after anti-Muslim riots

Published

on

Sri Lanka Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapakse [AFP]

Colombo (AFP) – Sri Lanka will clamp down on Internet hate speech following deadly anti-Muslim riots said to have been fueled by social media sites, the military said Monday.

Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapakse has asked the law and order ministry to deal with racial and religious hatred being spread using Facebook and Twitter, military spokesman Ruwan Wanigasooriya said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There are some Facebook pages against Buddhism, but more pages against Islam,” Wanigasooriya told AFP. “Some try to project every Muslim as a jihadist. It is wrong and it must stop.”

He said Rajapakse, the powerful younger brother of President Mahinda Rajapakse, had asked law enforcement authorities to work out a “practical way” of dealing with online hate speech.

Anti-Muslim riots in Buddhist-majority Sri Lanka two weeks ago left at least four people dead and 80 seriously wounded. Hundreds of shops and homes were also destroyed in the tourist resort towns of Alutgama and Beruwala.

Police have arrested eight suspects accused of looting during the riots, along with 55 others who have been linked to the violence.

The hardline Buddhist Force (BBS), which denies instigating attacks against Muslims, said last week that its social media pages had been blocked by service providers and their websites had been attacked by hackers.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Our Facebook pages have been taken down,” a BBS spokesman told AFP. “We are also facing cyber-attacks and that is not something new. But we will be up and running soon.”

There is no official censorship in Sri Lanka, but government authorities routinely block access to opposition and dissident websites.

However, the blocked sites can still be accessed through proxy servers based outside the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sri Lanka’s media as well as rights groups have accused the police of failing to prevent extremist Buddhist mobs attacking Muslims, who make up 10 percent of the country’s 20 million population.

The influential Muslim Council of Sri Lanka, an umbrella group of 48 Muslim organisations, petitioned police chief N. K. Illangakoon last week expressing fears of more violence against them during the holy month of Ramadan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Muslims as well as moderate Buddhists have pressed for action against the BBS, which is seen as enjoying the patronage of senior government figures.

[Image via Agence France-Presse]


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Vehicles being used as weapons against protesters is ‘the new normal in 2020’: CNN

Published

on

CNN's Don Lemon on Friday evening devoted a segment to the rash of incidents in which people have driven through Black Lives Matter protesters in the same manner that killed Heather Heyer at the fatal 2017 "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

"Vehicles used as weapons," Don Lemon began. "You heard me right, vehicles are being used as weapons against Americans taking to the streets in Black Lives Matter protests in cities across this country."

CNN correspondent Evan McMorris-Santoro reported shocking scenes captured on camera of vehicles running down protesters are "common now."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump to ignore Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish and appoint Amy Coney Berman: reports

Published

on

President Donald Trump intends to name Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, US media reported Friday, who if confirmed would cement a solid conservative majority on the high court.

The president said this week he will announce his pick to replace the late Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Saturday, and various media outlets said it would be the 48-year-old conservative judge.

Citing sources close to the process, various media outlets, including The New York Times and CNN, said Trump would nominate Barrett.

If she is confirmed the court would shift to a 6-3 conservative majority.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump tells supporters he won’t be ‘stupid’ enough for peaceful transition of power if he loses

Published

on

President Donald Trump continued to spread debunked conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election during a Friday night campaign rally in Virginia.

Trump argued that it was impossible for him to lose the election, thus concluding he would be "stupid" to hand over power peacefully should he lose.

"We not gonna lose this, except if they cheat," Trump falsely claimed about the 2020 campaign, where he trails Joe Biden in national and battleground polling.

"That's the only way we're gonna lose is if there's, uh, mischief," he argued. "And it will have to be on a big scale."

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE