By Jeff Mason
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama will sign an executive order on Monday barring federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, senior administration officials said.
The White House said last month that Obama would issue the order but declined to give details on its content or the timing of when he would do so.
The order will allow some exemptions for religious groups that are federal contractors but not as much flexibility as the groups had wanted.
A religious organization would be barred from making hiring decisions based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Exceptions would be allowed for ministers, and groups would be allowed to favor individuals of a particular religion when hiring.
Officials told reporters on Friday that Obama’s action would update two previous orders about discrimination already on the books.
It would update an order by President Lyndon Johnson by adding sexual orientation and gender identity to a list of protected categories for federal contractors.
It would also update an order by President Richard Nixon from 1969, adding gender identity to a list of groups that are protected from being discriminated against as federal employees.
The order already banned discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability and age. It was updated in 1998 by President Bill Clinton to include sexual orientation.
A senior administration official said the order would affect 24,000 companies that employ some 28 million workers, roughly a fifth of the nation’s work force.
Obama has pressed Congress to pass legislation that would ban such discrimination for all companies, but it has failed to gain traction with Republican lawmakers.
The White House believes the order will help improve productivity by reducing fears among employees that they could be fired for being gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.
“This is another case where doing what is right also helps businesses improve their bottom line,” one official told reporters on a conference call.
[Image via Agence France-Presse]
‘They don’t understand what it means to be American’: Ex-Pentagon chief blasts White House
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany explained Wednesday that President Donald Trump went to St. John's Church with his Bible because it's what former President George W. Bush did after Sept. 11 and what Winston Churchill did during World War II. The problem, of course, being that protesters demanding an end to police brutality aren't the same as Al-Qaeda or the Nazis and it's police killing unarmed Americans, not Black Lives Matter.
‘Comically ridiculous’: Kayleigh McEnany sparks outrage by comparing Trump to Winston Churchill
At Wednesday's White House briefing, Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany compared President Donald Trump's church photo-op stunt to British Prime Minister Winston Churchill inspecting bombing damage during the Nazi raids in World War II.
Kayleigh compares the President’s photo op to Churchill inspecting bombing damage pic.twitter.com/KP5ovHMYzI
— Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) June 3, 2020
Team Trump ‘running for cover’ after attempt to crack down on protests results in ‘humiliation’: conservative columnist
Writing in the Washington Post this Wednesday, columnist Jennifer Rubin writes that the "tear-gassing of peaceful protesters, the debasement of St. John’s Episcopal Church, the wholly inappropriate participation of the defense secretary and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the goose step across Lafayette Square" were actually President Trump's way of compensating for reports that he retreated to an underground bunker when protesters got close to the White House.
Rubin points to Trump's claim that he went to the bunker for an "inspection." But according to Defense Secretary Mark Esper, he had no idea where Trump and the rest of his entourage were going.