Quantcast
Connect with us

Death of man after New York police restrain him ruled a homicide

Published

on

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The death of a man who was restrained by police during a drug-fueled outburst was ruled a homicide by the city’s medical examiner, New York police said, as the department faces accusations of overly harsh arrest tactics.

Ronald Singleton had taken the illegal narcotic PCP, also known as angel dust, police said.

He was “overly irate and irrational, cursing and screaming” in the back of a taxi on July 13 and then attempted to fight a police officer whom the driver had alerted for help, the New York Police Department said in statement on Friday.

The 45-year-old was “restrained and placed in a protective body wrap”. Singleton, who was not arrested, went into cardiac arrest in an ambulance and was pronounced dead at hospital.

He died from “physical restraint by police during excited delirium” due to the PCP, and also from heart disease and obesity, the New York City medical examiner announced on Friday, according to the police statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

His death came four days before that of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old man suspected of peddling loose untaxed cigarettes on a Staten Island sidewalk who police put in a choke hold as they arrested him.

The incident has become part of a wider national debate about how American police use force, particularly on citizens who are not white. Earlier this month residents in Missouri took to the streets to protest against the shooting by police of an unarmed black teenager.

A New York City prosecutor on Aug. 19 said he would present evidence to a grand jury next month to determine whether anyone should be criminally charged in Garner’s death.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police officers have not faced disciplinary measures over Singleton’s death, which is being investigated by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. The police department said it would cooperate with the investigation.

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky)

[image via Agence France Presse]


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Bill Barr may have killed probe of Trump’s payoff to Stormy Daniels: Florida prosecutor

Published

on

A Florida prosecutor called on Congress to examine whether Attorney General William Barr killed an investigation into an illegal payoff to porn actress Stormy Daniels.

Dave Aronberg, state attorney for Palm Beach County, said newly released court documents further implicated Trump and his former aide Hope Hicks in the scheme, which has already resulted in a prison term for the president's former attorney Michael Cohen -- who implicated his boss in the campaign finance law violation.

"You and I don't have the benefit of the internal DOJ policy that forbids indicting a sitting president, and I think that is relevant here," Aronberg told MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "There are a lot of things going on here. But I think that the public needs to know -- there needs to be public hearings about this. Especially I want to know what Bill Barr's role is."

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trump administration will soon expand ‘remain in Mexico’ policy for migrants to busiest part of the border

Published

on

So far, asylum-seeking migrants who land in the most heavily crossed patch of the U.S.-Mexico border, in deep South Texas, have been spared from the controversial “remain in Mexico” program that requires applicants to go back across the border to await their fate from an immigration judge.

That’s about to change, officials say.

In coming days, and perhaps as early as Friday, some of the migrants apprehended in the U.S. Border Patrol’s busy Rio Grande Valley Sector are expected to be taken back across the Texas-Mexico border and told to wait for an asylum hearing in a yet-to-be-built courtroom in Brownsville, officials say.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

‘An attack on all of us’: Anime fans reel after deadly Japan fire

Published

on

A devastating apparent arson attack on a renowned Japanese animation firm has left anime fans and insiders heartbroken, with many likening the fire to a terror attack on their community.

The inferno that ripped through Kyoto Animation on Thursday killed 33 people and injured dozens more at a firm that has delighted fans across the world with its animations of popular manga works.d

"Kyoto Animation is home to some of the world's most talented animators and dreamers," Apple CEO Tim Cook tweeted after the attack.

"KyoAni artists spread joy all over the world and across generations with their masterpieces."

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image