Los Angeles (AFP) – Famed mob boss Tony Soprano did not die at the end of the iconic TV show’s last season, its creator revealed Wednesday.
The infamous final scene, which fades to black on Soprano eating with his wife and son in a New Jersey diner, triggered a storm when it ran in 2007.
Some initially thought their televisions had gone wrong. Critics said it wasn’t fair to leave viewers in the lurch after six seasons, after preceding scenes showed mysterious characters milling around, and Soprano’s daughter rushing to join him in the diner.
What really happened — well, in unwritten fictional terms at least — remained a mystery.
Series creator David Chase finally revealed all — or a key fact anyway — in an interview with online blogging site Vox.com.
Asked repeatedly what happened to Soprano, Chase at first became furious, asking his interviewer: “Why are we talking about this?”
But he then finally gave a straight answer to the question of whether Tony Soprano was dead.
“No,” he said simply, according to Vox. “No, he isn’t.”
The revelation leaves open the possibility that the series could be revived on screen. This seems highly unlikely, not least because James Gandolfini, the actor who played Soprano, died in June last year, aged 51.
[Image: James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano, via Wikipedia]
US hopes North Korea talks will go ahead despite Pyongyang threat
The United States said Tuesday it hoped to hold denuclearization talks with North Korea, after Pyongyang warned that US-South Korean military exercises could affect their planned resumption.
The North had earlier Tuesday hinted it could even reconsider its moratorium on nuclear testing over next month's drills, which have been held for years but were scaled down to ease tensions with Pyongyang.
It was the North's first statement on the talks since US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agreed to a resumption of dialogue at an impromptu meeting in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas on June 30.
El Chapo awaits life in prison sentence by US judge
After a run as one of the world's most powerful and notorious criminals, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman is expected to be sentenced to life in prison when he appears in a New York courtroom on Wednesday.
Guzman, the 62-year-old former leader of the powerful Sinaloa drug cartel, was convicted in February of crimes spanning a quarter of a century, including trafficking hundreds of tons of cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines and marijuana to the United States.
The charges, which also include money laundering and weapons-related offenses, carry a mandatory life sentence.
Trump’s tax law threatened TurboTax’s profits — so the company started charging the disabled, the unemployed and students
The 2017 tax overhaul vastly expanded the number of people who could file simplified tax returns, a boon to millions of Americans.
But the new law directly threatened the lucrative business of Intuit, the maker of TurboTax.
Although the company draws in customers with the promise of a “free” product, its fortunes depend on getting as many customers as possible to pay. It had been regularly charging $100 or more for returns that included itemized deductions for mortgage interest and charitable donations. Under the new law, many wealthier taxpayers would no longer be filing that form, qualifying them to use the company’s free software.