Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) on Sunday told CNN host Candy Crowley that it was easy to criticize President Barack Obama’s fight against ISIS in Iraq, but he reminded her that it was President George Bush’s “disastrous blunder” that allowed the extremists group to get a foothold in the first place.
In a interview on CNN’s State of the Union, Sanders agreed that ISIS had to be defeated, but he said that “the people of America are getting sick and tired of the world and region — Saudi Arabia and the other countries — saying, ‘Hey, we don’t have to do anything about it. The American taxpayer, the American soldiers will do all the work for us.'”
“Saudi Arabia is the fourth largest defense spender in the world,” he pointed out. “They have an army which is probably seven times larger than ISIS, they have a major air force. Their country is run by a royal family worth hundreds of billions of dollars.”
Sanders said that if the battle was perceived as the United States vs. ISIS then “we’re going to lose that war.”
“This is a war for the soul of Islam, and the Muslim nations must be deeply involved,” he insisted. “And to the degree the developed countries are involved, it should be the U.K., France, Germany, other countries as well.”
Crowley wondered if the Vermont senator agreed with the president’s handling of the conflict so far: “Is that too far for you or just about right?”
“It is very easy to criticize the president,” Sanders replied. “But this is an enormously complicated issue. We are here today because of the disastrous blunder of the Bush-Cheney era, which got us into this war in Iraq in the first place, which then developed the can of worms that we’re trying to deal with right now.”
“We have been at war for 12 years, we have spent trillions of dollars,” he added. “We have 500,000 men and women who have come home with PTSD and [traumatic brain injuries]. What I do not want, and what I fear very much is the United States getting sucked into a quagmire, and being involved in perpetual warfare year after year after year. That is my fear.”
Watch the video below CNN’s State of the Union, broadcast Oct. 12, 2014.
White nationalist speaker heckled for denying Holocaust at Virginia gun march: ‘You are literally a neo-Nazi’
A white nationalist speaker who has been affiliated with neo-Nazi rhetoric was caught on video denying the Holocaust at a pro-Second Amendment march in Richmond, Virginia.
The remarks were made by former Proud Boy Jovanni Valle, who goes by the name Jovi Val. Video clips of Valle's speech were shared on Twitter by writer Robert Evans.
"You wear a swastika and walk down the street," a man can be heard telling Valle. "You took it off and now you are like, oh no. You are denying the existence of the Holocaust."
Elijah Cummings’ widow reveals to The View that Trump’s ‘minions’ bombarded family with death threats: ‘It undermined his health’
The widow of Rep. Elijah Cummings revealed to "The View" that President Donald Trump's attacks motivated his supporters to bombard their family with death threats.
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, who's running for her late husband's seat in Maryland, said she hoped to build on his legacy as a champion of civil rights and fight back against Republican attempts to limit access to voting.
"We felt like this was our zero moment as a nation, that we have to make sure that we're all on the battlefield fighting for our future, and so while it does not look good in terms of President Trump and the Republicans," she said. "What they're doing to try to take us back 100 years in this country, the fact of the matter is that people are rising up all across the country. They are saying that we will not be oppressed, you will not take our democracy away from us. We have hordes of women who are running to take office, we have young people who are standing up and speaking out."
Kellyanne Conway stumbles after getting fact checked in real time on Fox News
Trump White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Monday appeared taken aback after getting fact checked in real time on Fox News.
During an interview with Fox News' Sandra Smith, Conway once again echoed President Donald Trump and complained about how unfair the impeachment process has been.
Conway then slammed Senate Democrats for wanting to call witnesses to testify at Trump's impeachment trial.
"Look at what happened in the House, the Republicans, the president was denied calling his own witnesses," Conway falsely claimed, as House Democrats did allow some witnesses who were requested by House Republicans to testify. "That is a complete disgrace!"