Quantcast
Connect with us

California woman freed after 17 years, declared innocent of murder

Published

on

A 59-year-old California woman who spent 17 years in prison for murder was ordered freed on Friday by a judge who said she was wrongly convicted on the basis of testimony by a woman known to be a habitual liar, the Los Angeles Times reported on Friday.

The case against Susan Mellen, who was found guilty in 1998 of killing her ex-boyfriend the year before, was thrown out at the request of Los Angeles County prosecutors after an investigation by local attorney Deirdre O’Connor turned up major credibility issues with the trial’s star prosecution witness.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I believe that not only is Ms. Mellen not guilty, I believe, based on what I’ve read, she’s innocent, and for that reason, I believe the criminal justice system has failed,” Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark Arnold said in setting aside the conviction, according to the Times.

The paper reported that the decision was greeted in the courtroom by cheers from some three dozen supporters of Mellen.

O’Connor, who runs a local innocence project based in Torrance, California, could not immediately be reached for comment by Reuters following the hearing.

In a letter to the court asking that the case be thrown out, Los Angeles prosecutors said that the case was largely based on testimony of a woman named June Patti, who told police at the time that Mellen had made incriminating statements to her about the murder.

ADVERTISEMENT

A special unit of the district attorney’s office which investigates habeas corpus cases has since determined that Patti’s testimony is “doubtful,” prosecutors said in the letter.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office declined to comment on the case, other than providing the letter.

The Times reported that five years before the trial, Patti had been labeled an “unreliable informant” by the Torrance, California, police department after giving them a series of false tips.

ADVERTISEMENT

Patti, who died in 2006, also was involved in some 2,000 calls or cases in Washington state, where the director of the Skagit County Public Defender’s office told the paper that the idea that she was a credible witness was “laughable.”

In throwing out Mellen’s conviction, Arnold said her attorney at the 1998 trial had failed to properly investigate Patti’s credibility, the Times reported.

(Reporting by Dan Whitcomb; Editing by Sandra Maler)

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch footage of Mellen’s first statement after her release, as posted by KTLA-TV on Friday, below.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Abhorrent’: Trump condemned after showing more concern for real estate than human beings in remarks on homelessness

Published

on

"He's apparently more concerned with the doorways and streets than with the people who are homeless and sleeping on them."

President Donald Trump on Tuesday complained that California's homelessness crisis is harming the "prestige" of major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco, remarks that housing advocates said displayed more sympathy for wealthy real estate investors and property than the human beings suffering from soaring rent and lack of affordable homes.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

The Internet pummels CNN for booking Lewandowski the morning after he admitted to lying on TV: ‘Why would you do this?’

Published

on

Corey Lewandowski admitted to the House Judiciary Committee that he had lied in TV appearances -- so social media users were appalled that he was booked the following morning to appear on CNN.

President Donald Trump's former campaign manager was confronted with false statements he had made in appearances on MSNBC and CNN, where he was scheduled to appear at 8 a.m. on "New Day," according to the show's executive producer.

COMING UP: Former Trump campaign manager @CLewandowski_ LIVE on @CNN's @NewDay at 8amET on yesterday's contentious hearing and impeachment.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump exonerates himself in weird third-person tweet: ‘President Trump didn’t do anything wrong or illegal’

Published

on

President Donald Trump declared himself exonerated by former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski in an early morning tweet.

The president tagged Lewandowski, who testified Tuesday before the House Judiciary Committee, and "Fox & Friends" in a Twitter post reacting to coverage of the congressional hearing.

"As Corey Lewandowski stated very clearly yesterday in front of the House Judiciary Committee, President Trump didn’t do anything wrong or illegal," Trump tweeted about himself. "But they all know that. The Democrats are hurting our Country, and getting nothing done. Shameful!"

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image