Quantcast
Connect with us

Kidnapped girls ‘to be freed’ as Nigeria reaches ceasefire agreement with Boko Haram

Published

on

A screengrab taken on October 2, 2014 from a video released by Boko Haram and obtained by AFP shows the leader of the Nigerian Islamist extremist group, Abubakar Shekau, delivering a speech (AFP Photo/)

Nigeria on Friday claimed to have reached a deal with Boko Haram militants on a ceasefire and the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls but doubts immediately surrounded the purported breakthrough.

Chief of Defence Staff Air Marshal Alex Badeh told senior military officials from Nigeria and Cameroon meeting in Abuja that a “ceasefire agreement” had been concluded between the government and the insurgents.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I have accordingly directed the service chiefs to ensure immediate compliance with this development,” he added.

Badeh’s announcement came after a senior aide to President Goodluck Jonathan, Hassan Tukur, told AFP that an agreement to end hostilities had been reached following talks, as well as for the release of 219 girls held captive since April.

But a precedent of previous claims from the government and military about an end to the deadly five-year conflict and the fate of the missing teenagers left many observers urging caution.

Jonathan is also expected to declare his bid for re-election in the coming weeks, with positive news about the hostages and the violence likely to give him a political boost.

Multiple analysts cast doubt over the credibility of a man called Danladi Ahmadu, whom Tukur claimed represented Boko Haram at the two meetings in neighbouring Chad.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I have never heard of such a man (Ahmadu) and if Boko Haram wanted to declare a ceasefire it would come from the group’s leader Abubakar Shekau,” said Shehu Sani, a Boko Haram expert who has negotiated with the group before on behalf of the government.

Ralph Bello-Fadile an advisor to Nigeria’s National Security Advisor (NSA), told a conference on Monday that the NSA has been inundated with fraudsters claiming to represent Shekau.

“Government wants to negotiate,” he told a Chatham House event in Abuja, “but so far nobody has come forward who speaks for Shekau.”

ADVERTISEMENT

– Chad talks –

Tukur said he represented the government at two meetings with the Islamists in Chad, which were mediated by the country’s President Idriss Deby.

“Boko Haram issued the ceasefire as a result of the discussions we have been having with them,” said Tukur, adding that Ahmadu made the announcement on Thursday evening.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They have agreed to release the Chibok girls,” he continued, referring to the girls seized in northeast Nigeria on April 14, causing global outrage.

Ndjamena refused to comment but security sources in the country said Chad, which Jonathan visited for talks with Deby early last month, had been involved in the discussions.

The source also said a ceasefire agreement was reached as well as the release of 27 hostages, 10 of them Chinese nationals, who were kidnapped in northern Cameroon earlier this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

The release of the hostages last weekend was “a first strong signal” from Boko Haram to prove their good faith, the source added but did not mention the schoolgirls.

– Discrepancies –

Ahmadu gave an interview broadcast on Friday on the Hausa language service of Voice of America radio in which he claimed to be the group’s “chief security officer” and in charge of publicity.

He made no mention of an end to hostilities and was vague on details of the apparent talks, even claiming not to have met Shekau.

He also referred to the jihadi group as Boko Haram, a name that means ‘Western education is forbidden’ which was imposed on the Islamist radicals by outsiders. The insurgents themselves never use the term.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group’s known leaders have exclusively used the name Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, which means “People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet’s Teachings and Jihad”.

He made no reference to the Chibok girls and did not list the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north — the core, unwavering Boko Haram demand since the uprising began.

Shekau has in a series of video messages since 2012 ruled out talks with the government and said northern Nigeria will never know peace until sharia (Islamic law) is strictly enforced.

Envoys from Nigeria’s presidency have made similar ceasefire claims in the past, notably Jonathan’s Minister for Special Duties Taminu Turaki, who led a so-called amnesty commission in 2013 that was tasked with brokering peace.

ADVERTISEMENT

Turaki on several occasions maintained that he was negotiating with legitimate Boko Haram commanders, including Shekau’s immediate deputies, and that a ceasefire was at hand.

But nothing materialised from Turaki’s protracted negotiations. Shekau said that he never sent delegates to any talks and attacks continued at a relentless pace.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

John Oliver explains how Dems can bring the pain to Mitch McConnell — even if he wins re-election

Published

on

"Last Week Tonight" host John Oliver returned to his Sunday show, fresh off of an Emmy win, to explain how the United States got so incredibly f*cked up.

Oliver began by remembering Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and noting that her seat will be taken over by a far-right conservative justice who will unmake healthcare, reproductive freedom, LGBTQ rights and more things Americans have indicated they want.

He played a clip of Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) claiming that America is a "center-right" country, which Oliver called outright "bullsh*t." Not only do Americans overwhelming support reproductive freedom, they also support LGBTQ equality. At the same time, Americans also believe, overwhelmingly, that President Donald Trump shouldn't be allowed to appoint the next justice.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump campaign blames Dems for ex-campaign manager Parscale’s reported self-harm threat

Published

on

The Trump campaign is blaming "Democrats and disgruntled RINOs" for the reported self-harm threat of its former campaign manager Brad Parscale.

"The disgusting, personal attacks from Democrats and disgruntled RINOs have gone too far, and they should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to this man and his family," said Trump campaign’s communications director Tim Murtaugh.

Statement from ?@realDonaldTrump? Campaign Communications Director Tim Murtaugh pic.twitter.com/NKuJrtmImz

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Former Army prosecutor explains why Trump will ‘get laughed out of court’ if he tries to steal the election

Published

on

Democrats are still panicking about the plots that President Donald Trump and the Republican Party seem to be cooking up to circumvent the people's vote in November.

Last week's shocking piece in The Atlantic detailed how electors in Pennsylvania could be manipulated to deliver Trump the vote despite ballots to the contrary. After President George W. Bush's campaign convincing the Supreme Court to stop Florida from counting the 2000 election ballots, there is a fear that Trump too could manipulate the courts to get his Supreme Court justices to deliver him a win.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE