More than 100 NYC students evacuated after vomiting from 'odorless gas'
Sick, sad teen girl (Shutterstock)

A school in New York City's suburbs was evacuated on Wednesday after an unknown gas caused students and teachers to vomit in the dining room, according to the local mayor's office.


A total of 152 people with nausea, vomiting and other symptoms were taken to five local hospitals from Yonkers Middle High School, said Christina Gilmartin, a spokeswoman for the Yonkers mayor's office.

Most of the affected were students, although some were teachers and firefighters who responded to emergency calls late on Wednesday morning from the school, which is attended by about 1,700 students.

Officials believe the symptoms were caused by an odorless gas that permeated the dining room's air, Gilmartin said, although further details were not immediately available.

No one appeared to be seriously harmed, Gilmartin said.

"They're being treated for respiratory issues," she said. "Nothing major."

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Sandra Maler)