Canada’s prime minister vowed the country would “not be intimidated” after a reported Muslim convert killed a soldier and stormed parliament, the nation’s second ‘terrorist’ attack in days.
The gunman, whose name was on a terror watch list, attempted to force his way into Canada’s parliament Wednesday before the assembly’s sergeant-at-arms shot him dead.
The attack — the second this week targeting Canadian military personnel — came as Canadian jets were to join the US-led bombing campaign against Islamist militants in Iraq.
“Canada will never be intimidated,” premier Stephen Harper told the nation in a televised address after the shootings on Wednesday.
“In fact, this will lead us to strengthen our resolve and redouble our efforts and those of national security agencies to take all necessary steps to identify and counter threats and keep Canada safe,” he said.
The spectacular security breach came two days after an alleged Islamist ran over two soldiers in Quebec, killing one of them, in what officials branded a terrorist attack.
In audio of the attack on parliament, repeated shots could be heard booming through its chambers.
The suspect, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau who was said to be a convert to Islam, had a record of drug offences and robbery.
Dave Bathurst, who met the 32-year-old Zehaf-Bibeau in a mosque about three years ago, said his friend did not at first appear to have extremist views, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reported.
But he said at times he exhibited a disturbing side.
“We were having a conversation in a kitchen, and I don’t know how he worded it. He said the devil is after him,” Bathurst told the the CBC. He said his friend frequently talked about the presence of Shaytan in the world –- an Arabic term for devils and demons. “I think he must have been mentally ill.”
– Shooter was ‘high risk’ –
Bathurst last saw Zehaf-Bibeau praying in a mosque in the Vancouver area six weeks ago and said he spoke of wanting to go to the Middle East.
He insisted he was only going abroad with the intent of learning about Islam and to study Arabic, Bathurst said.
Zehaf-Bibeau was considered a “high risk” suspect, according to reports, whose passport had been confiscated to prevent him joining jihadists abroad.
He first shot and killed a Canadian soldier who was on ceremonial guard at a war memorial on Parliament Hill in downtown Ottawa, before storming into the nearby parliament building.
The slain soldier was named as Corporal Nathan Cirillo. At least three people were admitted to hospital with minor injuries.
The attacker was killed, reportedly by a shot fired by the bearer of the House of Commons’ ceremonial mace, Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, who was hailed as a hero by lawmakers.
Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said it appeared the shooter had acted alone.
Lawmakers, staff and reporters, evacuated from the historic building, spoke of intense gunfire inside.
Paul Clarke, a builder who was working in parliament at the time, said, “It’s just been a nightmare.”
A member of parliament, Maurice Vellacott, told AFP that House of Commons security had told one of his aides the suspect had been killed inside parliament.
“I heard this ‘pop, pop’ — possibly 10 shots, I don’t really know,” Liberal Party member John McKay told reporters outside.
– ‘Jihadist sympathies’ –
Passers-by told reporters that a bearded man had gunned down the soldier and hijacked a passing vehicle to take him the short distance to parliament.
Local media reported that the suspect, raised in Laval, Quebec, about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Montreal, had an extensive criminal record, including robbery and drug charges to which he pleaded guilty.
A photo of Zehaf-Bibeau circulated in the Canadian media, showing him with a scarf over the lower half of his face aiming a rifle straight ahead.
Harper had been scheduled to bestow honorary Canadian citizenship on Nobel Peace prize winner Malala Yousafzai, who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan for campaigning for girls’ right to education, on Wednesday in Toronto. The ceremony will be rescheduled, his office said.
On Monday, 25-year-old Martin Couture-Rouleau mowed down two soldiers near Montreal, killing one of them, before being shot dead by police as he emerged from his wrecked car wielding a knife.
Couture-Rouleau was reportedly a supporter of the jihadist Islamic State group operating in Iraq and Syria, and on the same watch list as Zehaf-Bibeau.
The two attacks came days after Canadian authorities warned they were tracking 90 suspects, and “intelligence has indicated an individual or group within Canada or abroad has the intent and capability to commit an act of terrorism.”
Trump administration quietly guts COVID-19 paid leave provision that already excluded 75 percent of workers
The Trump administration has quietly issued new guidance that will exempt many small businesses from having to provide some workers with paid leave during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Department of Labor issued a temporary rule Wednesday that effectively exempted businesses with fewer than 50 workers from being required to provide 12 weeks of paid leave for workers whose children are suddenly at home from school or child care under the coronavirus stimulus package signed by President Donald Trump.
This article first appeared in Salon.
Trump is deploying national guardsman to provide pandemic support without any health benefits: report
The National Guard are an essential part of the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, and thousands of them have potentially been exposed to infected civilians, making it a particularly dangerous and important time to serve.
But according to The Daily Beast, the guard has been deployed in a way that prevents them from being eligible for the military's health care system.
"The approximately 20,000 guardsmen who have been called up to help states around the country deal with the spread of the coronavirus are federalized on what’s called Title 32 status, which puts them in command of their various state governors but with the federal government paying costs," wrote senior national security correspondent Spencer Ackerman. "But according to the National Guard’s advocates and the U.S. governors’ association, the guardsmen are activated on orders that last 30 days. That puts them one single day shy of the requirement allowing the military health insurance system known as TRICARE — think of it as Medicare For All In Uniform — to cover them."
Vaccine researchers grew ‘alarmed’ as Trump’s CDC wasted weeks of their time with a flawed coronavirus test: report
According to a report from the Washington Post, in the early days as health officials became concerned about the possibility of the COVID-19 pandemic blossoming out of China, researchers sat and wasted days they could have used to start developing a vaccine because they were assured by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) that a testing kit was on its way.
As it turned out, that test was flawed.
Relying on emails and interviews, the Post is reporting, "On a Jan. 15 conference call, a leading scientist at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assured local and state public health officials from across the nation that there would soon be a test to detect a mysterious virus spreading from China. Stephen Lindstrom told them the threat was remote and they may not need the test his team was developing 'unless the scope gets much larger than we anticipate,' according to an email summarizing the call."