Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday criticised as “wrong” the airdrops of ammunition and weapons by US planes to Kurdish fighters battling jihadists in the Syrian town of Kobane.
In an indication of the tensions that remain between Washington and and Ankara on how to deal with the Islamic State group, Erdogan said he could not understand why Kobane was so strategic for the United States.
He said the weapons had fallen into the hands of the Democratic Union Party (PYD) — a Syrian Kurdish group that Ankara does not support — and also IS jihadists.
“It has become clear that this was wrong,” Erdogan told reporters at Ankara airport before leaving on a trip to Latvia and Estonia.
US cargo planes earlier this week dropped ammunition, weapons and medical supplies to the Kurdish fighters who have been battling the jihadists for control of Kobane for over a month.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said at least one of the loads dropped had been picked up by the jihadists. A video purportedly showing this has surfaced online.
But Erdogan indicated that Turkey was equally troubled by the weapons falling into the hands of the PYD, whose armed branch the People’s Protection Units (YPG) has led the fight against the jihadists.
Ankara sees the PYD as the Syrian arm of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), whose armed campaign for self-rule in Turkey’s southeast has left 40,000 people dead over three decades.
“Some of the airdrops have fallen into the hands of the PYD and ISIS,” Erdogan said, using another name for IS. “It’s impossible to achieve results with such an operation.”
“Any support you would give PYD would benefit the PKK. And as Turkey we need to fight against this,” Erdogan added.
“One should not resort to such actions for appearances’ sake,” he said of the airdrops.
– ‘Kobane not strategic’ –
Turkey’s animosity towards the PYD puts it at odds with the United States, which favours supporting the group to fight the jihadists and says it should not be equated with the PKK.
Ankara has insisted it shares the West’s abhorrence of IS but also wants a comprehensive strategy to bring down Syrian President Bashar al-Assad after the three-and-a-half year civil war.
Erdogan’s comments came after Turkey agreed to allow Kurdish peshmerga fighters to cross its territory to join the fight against IS in Kobane.
Erdogan said he had made the proposal to bring the peshmerga to Kobane himself in telephone talks with US President Barack Obama.
But Turkey would only cooperate with the peshmerga and the anti-Assad Free Syrian Army (FSA), and not the PYD, he added.
In contrast to its hostility to the PYD, Turkey in recent years has built up strong relations with the Kurdish authorities in the Kurdistan region of Iraq who control the peshmerga forces.
Erdogan said he believed that there were now no civilians left in Kobane, which lies just south of the Turkish border, and some 2,000 fighters inside the city.
“I don’t understand why Kobane is so strategic for the US, there are no civilians left there,” he said.
Turkey is hosting 200,000 refugees from the Kobane region and wants a security zone created inside Syria to accommodate them.
Trump campaign ramps up smear campaign on Obama’s ebola czar for exposing the president’s COVID-19 bumbling: report
Stung by a highly effective video he made for Vice President Joe Biden criticizing Donald Trump's response to the growing COVID-19 pandemic, the communications team working on the president's re-election is going after President Barack Obama's former ebola czar, Ron Klain.
Klain, who is now becoming a fixture on cable news, took part in a video ad touting the campaign of Biden, and used his expertise to rip into the Trump administration's efforts to deal with the national health crisis. That put a target on his back as the president's 2020 campaign team is trying to stem the damage that threatens the president's chances of being re-elected in November.
Trump ignored advice to tell country the coronavirus pandemic was ‘bad and could get very worse’ in early March: report
According to a day-by-day examination of the White House efforts to get up to speed on dealing with the growing coronavirus pandemic that has now brought the country to an almost complete standstill, Politico reports that Donald Trump was advised in early March to warn the public things were about to get worse and chose to ignore that advice.
The report notes that the final realization about the dangerous spread of COVID-19 preceded the president's rare prime time address to the nation.
Why the novel coronavirus became a social media nightmare
The biggest reputational risk Facebook and other social media companies had expected in 2020 was fake news surrounding the US presidential election. Be it foreign or domestic in origin, the misinformation threat seemed familiar, perhaps even manageable.
The novel coronavirus, however, has opened up an entirely different problem: the life-endangering consequences of supposed cures, misleading claims, snake-oil sales pitches and conspiracy theories about the outbreak.
So far, AFP has debunked almost 200 rumors and myths about the virus, but experts say stronger action from tech companies is needed to stop misinformation and the scale at which it can be spread online.