Quantcast
Connect with us

Catholic leaders in St. Paul hid evidence of priest’s child porn collection from police for 16 years

Published

on

Church leaders in St. Paul, Minnesota engaged in a cover-up for over sixteen years, protecting a priest who was discovered to be in possession of child pornography in 1997, reports Twincities.com.

According to documents obtained by attorney Jeff Anderson, the cover-up protecting  now-retired Rev. Donald J. Dummer  involved church leaders including then-Vicar General Kevin McDonough, then-Archbishop Harry Flynn, and Rev. Joseph Hitpas, and reached as high as the Vatican’s ambassador to the United States, Archbishop Gabriel Montalvo.

ADVERTISEMENT

In 1997 two employees at St. Mary’s church in downtown St. Paul discovered what they believed was child pornography in Rev. Dummer’s living quarters and brought the material to an archdiocese official.  One of the employees described the item as a VHS tape of “boys 10-12 years of age playing basketball — nude.” The employee later discovered more videos, including one depicting homosexual sex between teenagers about 18 or 19 years old, by his estimation.

Months after archdiocese officials were first made aware of the possible child pornography, Dummer was assigned as chaplain at St. Paul-Ramsey Medical Center, now Regions Hospital.

Frustrated by the lack of response from church officials, the employee wrote a “to whom it may concern”  letter in 2002 detailing the allegations. It was unclear from the documents  who received the letter, but a group of concerned parents called Catholic Parents OnLine then wrote to the apostolic nuncio in Washington, D.C., and included the man’s letter.

The group also included a packet of photos the employee had collected from Dummer’s quarters and “three (3) videos of a questionable nature.”

The nuncio, Montalvo, wrote to Flynn on Feb. 4, 2002, regarding what he had received and Flynn responded that he would address the issue with both Dummer and his immediate supervisor Rev. Hitpas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hitpas  told Flynn over the phone that there had been “ongoing agitation” between the employee and Dummer, according to a letter written by Flynn. The staff member “has had emotional problems and Father Dummer doesn’t seem to have the sensitivity to recognize that but rather does things to aggravate him and these are usually minor liturgical violations,” the archbishop wrote.

Hitpas also wrote a letter to Flynn stating Dummer was embarrassed and apologetic, but “adamantly denies ever possessing any kind of child pornography.”

“He claims he has no other tapes. … I pointed out to him that any such material was inappropriate, and that he should check carefully and get rid of anything else that might be in his possession,” Hitpas wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Flynn told Montalvo that Dummer would be moved out of St. Mary’s and into the oblates’ residence in St. Paul, where he would “experience more supervision.”

Flynn wrote that “as far as I am concerned I think we can bring this matter to a closure. I do not believe that this matter needs any further attention except the ongoing supervision of Father Dummer.”

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the documents,  Hitpas told Flynn in 2002, “I will dispose of the tapes.”

Bishop Andrew Cozzens of the archdiocese said in a written statement this past Thursday that Dummer’s file was turned over to St. Paul police investigators in November 2013.

“Dummer is accused of possessing child pornography while he was living within the archdiocese,” Cozzens wrote. “Today, we would handle such allegations differently.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In interviews earlier this year, now retired Archbishop Flynn claimed at least 134 times under oath that he “could not remember how he handled clergy sexual abuse cases during his 13-year tenure,”

Dummer, now 77,  currently lives in an oblates residence in Tewksbury, Mass.

Attempts to reach the now-retired priest were unsuccessful.

 

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

GOP senator admits she’s hoping Trump’s Ukraine scheme successfully sinks Biden

Published

on

In a press conference with reporters on Monday, Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA) gave the game away by implying she hopes that President Donald Trump's scheme to dig up foreign dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden successfully sinks his candidacy and causes him to lose the Democratic caucuses in her state.

"Iowa caucuses are this next Monday evening. And I'm really interested to see how this discussion today informs and influences the Iowa caucus voters, those Democratic caucus goers. Will they be supporting Vice President Biden at this point?"

The remarks came after White House lawyers spent hours trying to change the subject from Trump's attempts to extort the president of Ukraine with military aid, to the conspiracy theory surrounding Biden's son's work in Ukraine that he had been demanding they pursue.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Republicans defended ‘a vile scoundrel’ who is ‘racist’ and ‘a petty tyrant’ — and it wasn’t Donald Trump

Published

on

President Donald Trump's defense attorneys were blasted for their defense of a different president on Tuesday.

"I mean, of course Trump's lawyers are defending Andrew Johnson. Of course," noted MSNBC anchor Chris Hayes.

"Johnson was a vile scoundrel and a drunk and a racist and a petty tyrant whose presidency brought blood and shame upon this nation," Hayes continued. "That's the kindest characterization I could muster."

The host linked to a 2019 piece on Johnson that he wrote for The New York Times as a book review of "The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of a Just Nation by Brenda Wineapple.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

There are 51 votes to approve calling witnesses in Trump impeachment trial: PBS

Published

on

After pieces of John Bolton's manuscript leaked to the press confirming President Donald Trump's bribery of Ukraine, Republicans have turned to support the witnesses they once opposed.

Sens. Mitt Romney (R-UT) and Susan Collins (R-ME) both voted against witnesses and were leaning against them until Bolton's manuscript was leaked to the press after it was turned over to the White House for approval.

PBS News Hour reporter Lisa Desjardins tweeted Monday evening that the news tipped the scales and there were officially 51 votes to approve witnesses.

https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1221951089647538177

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image