12-year-old who just wanted ‘to die’ deemed competent to stand trial in 9-year-old’s stabbing death
A 12-year-old Michigan boy who stabbed a 9-year-old to death in August — and then called 911 and said, “I just stabbed somebody, please pick me up, I want to die” — will be charged as an adult after a psychologist decided he was fit to stand trial, WWJ reports.
On August 4, 2014, the 12-year-old boy walked up to Michael Connor Verkerke — with whom he had no prior acquaintance — and repeatedly stabbed him, then walked over to Glen Stacy’s house and asked to borrow his phone.
“Hi, I just stabbed somebody,” the boy said. “Please pick me up, I want to die. I don’t want to be on this earth anymore. Please pick me up.”
When asked by the dispatcher why he had done so, the boy only said that he “hated his life” and “taken many pills” because he felt like “no one loved him.”
Child welfare workers later confirmed that the boy had been physically abused by both his mother and his stepfather. Even though the Department of Human Services (DHS) was aware of the abuse, it allowed the boy and his three siblings to remain with their parents — although the DHS recently filed a petition to have his siblings removed.
The boy is designated as an adult in the juvenile court system, which means that if he is found guilty of having murdered Verkerke, he would be sentenced first as a juvenile, then again as an adult when he reached the age of 21.
When asked in court if he understood what was happening, the boy replied, “Yes, sir.”
Assistant Kent County Prosecutor Laura Clifton told WWJ that she believes the boy is the youngest to ever be charged with murder in the state.
His defense attorney, Charles Boekeloo, has two weeks to decide whether to accept the psychologist’s recommendation or seek a second opinion.
Watch a report on the stabbing via WOOD TV8 below.