Hong Kong leader declares Occupy protest ‘over’ as last site cleared
Hong Kong’s leader declared an end to more than 11 weeks of sit-in protests by pro-democracy demonstrators after police cleared the last remaining camp and arrested a handful of peaceful protesters Monday.
A committed core of around a dozen demonstrators had staged a sit-in at the centre of the last site in the busy shopping district of Causeway Bay as police cut away barricades and tore down banners and shelters.
Seventeen people, from students to the elderly, were arrested without resisting, with some shouting “We will be back” and “Fight to the end”.
Trucks and cleaning teams moved in to remove the debris, and roads around the site which have been closed for weeks reopened.
Activists calling for free leadership elections occupied major traffic arteries after China said in August that candidates for the city’s chief executive elections in 2017 would first be vetted by a loyalist committee.
Campaigners said the move would ensure a pro-Beijing stooge in the leadership role.
Police demolished the city’s main protest camp last week.