Quantcast
Connect with us

Hong Kong protest founders to ‘surrender,’ urge student demonstrators to retreat

Published

on

The three original founders of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy Occupy movement tearfully announced on Tuesday they would “surrender” by turning themselves in to police and urged protesters still on the streets to retreat.

The announcement came after hundreds of pro-democracy protesters clashed with police late Sunday, leaving dozens injured in one of the worst nights of violence since rallies began over two months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

“As we prepare to surrender, we three urge the students to retreat ?- to put down deep roots in the community and transform the movement,” said Occupy Central leader Benny Tai.

Tai said the trio would surrender to police on Wednesday in a commitment to the rule of law and “the principle of peace and love.”

“Surrendering is not an act of cowardice, it is the courage to act on a promise. To surrender is not to fail, it is a silent denunciation of a heartless government,” Tai said.

He praised the bravery of frontline occupiers and criticised the police as “out of control”, saying it was time for protesters to leave “this dangerous place.”

Academics Tai and Chan Kin-man, and Baptist minister Chu Yiu-ming founded the Occupy Central civil disobedience group in early 2013 to push for political reforms, but have increasingly taken a backseat as more radical student groups came to the fore.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was not immediately clear how they would respond to Tai’s appeal.

Teenage poster-child of the movement Joshua Wong and two other student leaders went on hunger strike late Monday in a last-ditch attempt to force the government’s hand.

“Our young people have used their bodies to withstand the blows of police batons, their blood and broken bones have brought us the deepest sorrow,” Tai said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We respect the students’ and citizens’ determination to fight for democracy, and we are furious at the government’s heartless indifference.”

While there is no specific warrant out for the founders’ arrest, Hong Kong and Chinese authorities have consistently slammed the protests as illegal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Protesters began blocking major roads in three locations in late September.

Tai said he did not know how police would respond to their surrender, but the three were prepared for any consequences.

He said the Occupy movement would now take a different direction to promote the civil disobedience movement, including through education and a new social charter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Desperate measures

Student-led demonstrators are demanding free leadership elections for the semi-autonomous Chinese city. Their main protest camp blocks a long stretch of a multi-lane highway in Admiralty district in central Hong Kong.

China’s communist authorities insist that candidates for the 2017 vote must be vetted by a loyalist committee, which the protesters say will ensure the election of a pro-Beijing stooge.

“We are hoping that after the hunger strike we have a chance to speak with government officials openly — then there will be a chance to solve this Hong Kong problem,” 18-year-old Wong told reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

The city’s embattled leader Leung Chun-ying — whose resignation is demanded by protesters — urged the students Tuesday to look after themselves.

“I hope the students that are participating in the hunger strike can take care of their health, especially when the weather is getting colder,” he told reporters.

Talks between demonstrators and the Hong Kong government in October ended in an impasse, with protest leaders saying authorities had little to offer.

Three student leaders were denied permission to board a flight to Beijing last month where they hoped to bring their demands for free elections to Chinese authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Violent clashes broke out Sunday night in a fresh escalation of tensions, with officers firing pepper spray at angry students trying to surround government headquarters.

A court has approved an injunction to clear part of the Admiralty site, but an appeal against it was being heard Tuesday.

“At this point, we won’t decide on whether to retreat or not,” Wong said Tuesday.

Leung warned Monday that the “intolerable” protests will come to nothing and hinted that further police action may take place.

The protests have also sparked a diplomatic row between London and Beijing.

ADVERTISEMENT

China on Monday defended its refusal to allow a group of British MPs into Hong Kong, describing their planned trip to the former colony as “overtly confrontational”.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump is trying Middle East Peace plan 2.0 after the first one flopped

Published

on

President Donald Trump is scheduled to submit his second Middle East peace plan after the first one senior son-in-law Jared Kushner came up with didn't go over very well.

"We will get this done," Trump claimed in May 2017.

“We'll start a process which hopefully will lead to peace,” Trump said. “Over the course of my lifetime, I've always heard that perhaps the toughest deal to make is the deal between the Israelis and the Palestinians. Let's see if we can prove them wrong, okay?”

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rage-filled Trump has crippled his presidency because he can’t let go of a grudge no matter how small: report

Published

on

According to a report in Politico, many of Donald Trump's problems are the direct result of his inability to get over the smallest of slights leading him to make poor decisions because he can't see his way to let go of a grudge.

The report notes, "Whether in the privacy of his clubs or out on the campaign trail, the president can’t help but hold onto a grudge. Even as Trump heads into an election year with a record that he claims ranks him among the best presidents of all time, political grievances continue to drive everything from policy decisions to rally speeches to some of the biggest scandals of his presidency — including his impeachment."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

George Conway reveals Trump is being shunned by law firms because young lawyers ‘want nothing to do with him’

Published

on

Conservative attorney George Conway asserted in a column over the weekend that President Donald Trump's history of mistreating law firms is catching up with him.

In a Sunday op-ed for The Washington Post, Conway explains that Trump is now faced with sparse choices for legal representation in his impeachment trial after years of not paying attorneys and generally being a bad client.

Pointing to Trump's choice of Alan Dershowitz and Kenneth Starr, Conway writes:

?The president has consistently encountered difficulty in hiring good lawyers to defend him. In 2017, after Robert S. Mueller III became special counsel, Trump couldn’t find a high-end law firm that would take him as a client. His reputation for nonpayment preceded him: One major Manhattan firm I know had once been forced to eat bills for millions in bond work it once did for Trump. No doubt other members of the legal community knew of other examples.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image