Quantcast
Connect with us

Judge tells ‘evil’ ex-Chicago cop during torture trial: ‘Public needs protecting from you’

Published

on

Steve Mandell (Screen capture)

A former Chicago cop has been sentenced to life in prison, plus five years, for his role in an elaborate torture and murder scheme, FOX 32 News reports.

Steve Mandell was convicted in February for his role in the torture and murder plot. He and his accomplice, Gary Engel — who committed suicide in prison in 2012 — planned to abduct a wealthy businessman, Steve Campbell, and take him to a torture chamber they had built.

ADVERTISEMENT

There, they would torture Campbell — a real estate magnate — until he signed over land deeds to them, and then they would kill him.

On video secretly taken by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Engel and Mandell can be heard discussing how they will torture Campbell before killing him.

“You going to put a little blade there?” Mandell asked, to which Engel replied that he would flay open Campbell’s penis. It would be just like “slicing a banana split. You know what a banana split looks like?”

At sentencing, U.S. District Judge Amy St. Eve referenced that part of the video, saying that “the thrill you showed in putting another person in pain and in torturing was chilling. The glee on your face was very apparent.”

“The public needs protecting from you,” she continued. “Your actions in this case, Mr. Mandell, were evil, and showed a complete disregard for human life.”

ADVERTISEMENT

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Mandell ranted after receiving the sentence. The case against him, he said, was “phantasmagorically ridiculous,” and that “even Helen Keller could see” that he had been framed.

Mandell — who along with this accomplice Engel, had been a Chicago police officer in the 1970s — was previously convicted and sentenced to death for a 1990 murder, only to be released in 2004 after his conviction was overturned on appeal. He has been a suspect in at least five other murder investigations dating back to his days as a police officer.

Watch on his sentencing below via FOX 32 News.

ADVERTISEMENT

FOX 32 News Chicago


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Pro-Trump internet trolls tried to hijack Nickelodeon’s kid’s survey on who should be president — and failed

Published

on

On Tuesday, Nickelodeon hosted its "Kids Pick The President" straw poll, in which young viewers of the network give their own opinion on who should win the presidential election. The poll has no electoral significance, given that kids cannot vote and given that the survey methodology is not scientific and lets anyone opt in regardless of how it balances the sample.

Despite this, pro-Trump internet trolls reportedly sought to hijack the results, spreading the message to get people to flood the poll with votes for President Donald Trump.

In the end, however, they couldn't even do it. Joe Biden won the poll, 53 percent to 47 percent.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Wisconsin sees ‘nightmare scenario’ of COVID cases — as Trump ignores medical advice for campaign rally

Published

on

Wisconsin residents saw a “nightmare scenario” situation unfold Tuesday as 5,262 COVID-19 cases rocked the state, resulting in 64 deaths as President Donald Trump held a large campaign rally with few masks and zero social distancing.

"This is no longer a slow-motion disaster," said Gregory Poland, director of the vaccine research group at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. "This is a disaster in warp speed. And it's maddening to me as a physician because a whole lot of people have died and are dying."

https://twitter.com/MJSphotog/status/1321224234270625794

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the state Department of Health Services reported 5,262 new cases and 64 deaths Tuesday, both records far above any previous daily counts. The death toll now stands at 1,852.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump’s website hacked and defaced to stop the ‘fake-news’ spread by the president: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump's website appeared to have been briefly hacked on Tuesday -- one week before the 2020 presidential campaign.

Visitors to the site briefly saw a fake DOJ takedown notice.

"This site was seized," the message read. "The world has had enough of the fake-news spreaded (sic) by President Donald J. Trump."

"It is time to allow the world to know the truth," the message continued.

The message also claimed "secret conversations" prove the Trump administration "is involved in the origin of the coronavirus."

There is no evidence that is the case, experts believe the virus originated in China.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE