Malaysia’s worst flooding in decades forced some 118,000 people to flee as premier Najib Razak came under fire after photos showed him golfing with U.S. President Barack Obama during the storms.
At least five people have been killed by the rising waters and there appeared little respite on the way on Friday, with forecasters predicting further heavy rainfall across previously unaffected southern parts of the country.
As local media carried photographs of people wading through flood waters as deep as two meters (6.5 feet) and entire houses submerged by rising water, the government faced criticism for not declaring a state of emergency to help devastated communities.
Seasonal flooding hits Malaysia every year and regularly forces tens of thousands from their homes, but the latest round has forced authorities to evacuate around 118,000, mostly in the north-east, state news agency Bernama reported.
Among the dead was a man who drowned at a relief centre on Christmas eve, while a rescue boat carrying eight people including a young couple went missing after it became entrapped in a whirlpool and capsized, the news agency said.
Rising flood water has rendered several roads unusable and authorities have suspended train services in some of the worst-affected areas. Communications have also been badly hit by the storms.
Military officials told AFP that additional helicopters from Kuala Lumpur were sent Friday morning to deliver medical supplies, food and drinking water to victims of the flooding.
In a rare piece of positive news, around 100 tourists who were stranded in a remote resort in central Malaysia’s Mutiara Taman Negara Resort were rescued and sent to a relief centre.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib called on rescue workers desperately trying to reach flood victims to step up their efforts to deliver food and water.
Najib himself came under fire, however, when photos emerged of the premier playing golf with Obama in Hawaii, with Malaysians questioning why he was not at home to deal with the crisis in posts on his official Facebook page.
– ‘PM needs a break’ –
Critics have also charged his government with failing to respond quickly enough, with some lambasting the authorities for not declaring a state of emergency in the worst-hit regions.
“The PM needs time to take a break,” Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin was quoted as saying by the New Straits Times.
“He has been working very hard so let’s be fair to him as a human being. Don’t worry, I’m in charge.”
Yassin also insisted the government had responded appropriately to the flooding, telling the newspaper: “We face floods every year but this is looking to be the worst the country has seen in the last 30 years.”
“Unless there was a total breakdown in electricity or water supply, or if the number of evacuees rises to over hundreds of thousands, we will not declare a state of emergency.”
Amid rising criticism, the government said Friday Najib had decided to cut short his usual year-end vacation and return to Malaysia on Saturday to oversee rescue operations.
He is expected to land in Kelantan, one of the most severely-hit states, and meet people affected by the crisis as well as discuss new measures with authorities to help flood victims.
“I am deeply concerned by the floods. I feel for the people who have lost their homes, and the families who have lost loved ones,” Najib said in a statement.
“I want to see the situation for myself and be with the people.”
Meanwhile, the Malaysian Meteorological Department warned of a heavy downpour over the next few days in parts of the country that have so far been spared the worst of the flooding, including the southern state of Johor, which neighbours Singapore.
Residents there have been cautioned to prepare for possible massive floods. Heavy rain on Friday morning had already resulted in over 200 being evacuated to relief centres.
Some states and districts across Malaysia have decided to cancel their New Year celebration plans as a mark of respect for flood victims.
Elijah Cummings’ widow reveals to The View that Trump’s ‘minions’ bombarded family with death threats: ‘It undermined his health’
The widow of Rep. Elijah Cummings revealed to "The View" that President Donald Trump's attacks motivated his supporters to bombard their family with death threats.
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, who's running for her late husband's seat in Maryland, said she hoped to build on his legacy as a champion of civil rights and fight back against Republican attempts to limit access to voting.
"We felt like this was our zero moment as a nation, that we have to make sure that we're all on the battlefield fighting for our future, and so while it does not look good in terms of President Trump and the Republicans," she said. "What they're doing to try to take us back 100 years in this country, the fact of the matter is that people are rising up all across the country. They are saying that we will not be oppressed, you will not take our democracy away from us. We have hordes of women who are running to take office, we have young people who are standing up and speaking out."
Kellyanne Conway stumbles after getting fact checked in real time on Fox News
Trump White House counselor Kellyanne Conway on Monday appeared taken aback after getting fact checked in real time on Fox News.
During an interview with Fox News' Sandra Smith, Conway once again echoed President Donald Trump and complained about how unfair the impeachment process has been.
Conway then slammed Senate Democrats for wanting to call witnesses to testify at Trump's impeachment trial.
"Look at what happened in the House, the Republicans, the president was denied calling his own witnesses," Conway falsely claimed, as House Democrats did allow some witnesses who were requested by House Republicans to testify. "That is a complete disgrace!"
Two conservatives explain the fear that will motivate ‘spineless’ GOP senators during Trump impeachment trial
As President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial gets underway, many Republicans are defending the president vigorously. Conservative attorney George Conway, however, has been applauding Trump’s impeachment. And in an op-ed he co-wrote with political consultant Reed Galen for NBC News’ website, Conway describes Trump’s impeachment trial as an event that is “dominated” by “fear.”
“Fear was what Trump used to spin up the Republican base, using stereotypes, lies and hyperbole to dismantle decades of American political discourse,” Conway and Galen assert in their op-ed. “Fear of facing off against former Vice President Joe Biden was what led Trump to demand, as a price for vital military and security aid, that Ukraine help him smear Biden.”