Members of the environmental activist group Greenpeace face criminal and civil charges in Peru for leaving their own footprints on one of the country’s historical monuments while calling for lower carbon footprints, PBS NewsHour reported.
The group has faced criticism since releasing footage of 12 members walking onto the site of the 1,500-year-old Nazca lines geoglyphs last week. They were shown laying down cloth letters that, from a height, spelled out, “Time for change, the future is renewable.”
The display was a message to officials at a conference in Lima, about 260 miles away, concerning carbon emissions limits. Nearly 200 countries were represented at the conference.
The site is off-limit to visitors, and researchers entering the area are required to wear specially-designed shoes that will minimize the potential damage to the geoglyphs, which are believed to have been created between 500 B.C. and 500 A.D, and are believed to have a religious significance. Officials say overhead footage shows footprints and overturned rocks as a result of Greenpeace’s encroachment.
The group members who took part in the protest are believed to have left the country. The New York Times reported that a judge refused prosecutors’ request to detain them.
Greenpeace released an apology late last week, while its international executive director Kumi Naidoo, has flown into Peru to speak with officials.
“I apologize personally to the people of Peru, and all those around the world who were offended by our actions,” Naidoo told NewsHour. “This is not who we are.”
But the country’s deputy minister of culture, Luis Jaime Castillo, dismissed Greenpeace’s apology, calling the protest “irresponsible [and] childish.”
“I care for basically one point: these things [that] were damaged, they had basically have to be returned to their original status,” Castillo said. “Some people will have to face criminal charges because that is unavoidable, and the process has already started.”
Watch NewsHour’s report, as aired on Monday, below.
Jeanine Pirro pushes conspiracy theory 2016 election interference ‘apparently’ started in Ukraine
The United States intelligence community is united in the conclusion that it was Russia that interred in America's 2016 presidential election.
But Fox News personality Jeanine Pirro said that 2016 election interference "apparently" started in Ukraine.
The conspiracy theory underlying the false claim resulted in President Donald Trump seeking foreign election interference from Ukraine, the scandal at the heart of the impeachment inquiry.
Pirro also said Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Geoge Kent is a "bozo."
Video of Pirro's opening was posted on Twitter by President Donald Trump:
WATCH: Pete Buttigieg surges to first place in ‘gold standard’ poll of Iowa caucuses
South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg surged in a poll of Iowa released Saturday night.
The poll, by Des Moines Register, CNN and Mediacom, showed major movement in the race.
"Since September, Buttigieg has risen 16 percentage points among Iowa’s likely Democratic caucusgoers, with 25% now saying he is their first choice for president. For the first time in the Register’s Iowa Poll, he bests rivals Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, who are now clustered in competition for second place and about 10 percentage points behind the South Bend, Indiana, mayor," the newspaper reported.
Stephanie Grisham claims Trump is ‘healthy’ and ‘without complaints’ after surprise visit to hospital
The White House announced that President Donald Trump is healthy after an unscheduled trip to Walter Reed Hospital.
“After a quick exam and labs, the President is headed back downtown," press secretary Stephanie Grisham said.
"The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week," she argued.
Trump has been holding one or two political rallies a week, where he regularly speaks for well over an hour.