Quantcast
Connect with us

Protesters and police clash outside La Scala opera house on opening night

Published

on

The glamourous season opener at Milan’s Scala opera house was marred Sunday by clashes between riot police and protesters which left two wounded.

Around 300 demonstrators, using banners reading “fight the power” and “we resist!” as shields, threw flares and Molotov cocktails at baton-wielding police in front of La Scala, where musical director Daniel Barenboim was taking his last opening-night bow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Two policemen were reported to have sustained injuries during the clashes with the protesters, who were demonstrating against austerity in the recession-hit country as well as demanding rights for social housing following a series of squat evictions.

The season premier “Fidelio” marks the end of Barenboim’s nine years at the prestigious opera house and the glitzy evening at the 18th-century theatre was attended by fashionista, show girls and leading politicians.

Milan’s prefect Francesco Paolo Tronca, among the guests, slammed the “unacceptable violent protests against police” and the “hijacking of cultural events which serve to give strength and value to our city.”

There was also little sympathy from president of the Lombardy region where Milan is situated, Roberto Maroni, who said “what a way to ruin a party.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We always present the worst image of ourselves to the world. La Scala’s opening night is a unique spectacle and we manage to ruin even that,” he said.

But the demonstrators received some support from former minister of economic development Corrado Passera, who said there was “such a level of need among some parts of the population that it is wrong to get angry with those who protest.”

The riot darkened an already uneasy season following a summer which saw Rome’s conductor Riccardo Muti quit the Teatro dell’Opera amid bureaucratic difficulties and threats of strikes.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Bill de Blasio learned of federal investigation — and suspended his 2020 bid the next day: report

Published

on

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Friday that he was ending his campaign for the Democratic Party presidential nomination.

There may have been more to the timing than previously reported.

"Federal election officials asked Mayor de Blasio for more information about his presidential campaign fundraising after he used a state political action committee to pay for expenses related to the bid – seemingly against the law," the New York Daily News reported Friday. "The Federal Election Commission demanded that de Blasio 2020 clarify a debt the campaign owed his NY Fairness PAC in a letter Thursday – the day before Hizzoner dropped out of the race."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

White House Counsel busted working to keep whistleblower report from Congress: report

Published

on

President Donald Trump's White House counsel has reportedly been personally involved in keeping Congress from reviewing a whistleblowing report involving Ukraine.

"The revelation that Trump pushed Zelensky to pursue the Biden probe, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, represents the most detailed account so far of the president’s conduct that prompted a U.S. intelligence official to file a whistleblower action against the president," The Washington Post reported Friday. "The disclosure comes amid new details about the White House’s role in preventing Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire from complying with Congressional demands for the material in the complaint."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Watch Ex-CIA official break down the ‘three crimes’ Trump committed if Ukraine scandal is true

Published

on

President Donald Trump could be charged with committing three federal crimes if the whistleblower reports involving the White House seeking campaign interference from Ukraine are correct.

MSNBC "Deadline: White House" anchor Nicolle Wallace interviewed Jeremy Bash on Friday -- and worried about the safety of the whistleblower.

"The stakes could not be any higher, the risk to his career -- or her career -- and reputation and perhaps legal standing could not be any higher for this whistleblower. That's why we’re glad to be joined by national security analyst, former chief of staff of the CIA and Department of Defense, someone I wanted to talk to about this story all week, Jeremy Bash," Wallace said.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image