Quantcast
Connect with us

St. Louis police backtrack after claiming NFL team apologized for ‘Hands Up, Don’t Shoot’ gesture

Published

on

The St. Louis Police Department backtracked late Monday night from reports saying that the NFL’s St. Louis Rams had apologized for five team members displaying the “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” protest gesture during a game on Sunday.

“This morning, I had phone conversations with both Chief [Sam] Dotson and Chief [Jon] Belmar regarding yesterday’s events,” vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I expressed to both of them that I felt badly that our players’ support of the community was taken as disrespectful to law enforcement.”

ADVERTISEMENT

A statement released by the team and posted online by KSDK-TV shows no apology:

This contradicts an email that Belmar, head of the county police, sent to his officers saying that Demoff called him on Monday morning and apologized for members of his team behaving “in a way that minimized the outstanding work that police officers and departments carry out each and every day.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The department had demanded that the team apologize after the players, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt, Jared Cook and Chris Givens, came out for their introductions on Sunday with their hands up, a sign of support for protesters criticizing police violence following the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown by Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson this past August.

A grand jury decided last week not to indict Wilson, spurring protests both in the St. Louis area and around the world. But the St. Louis Police Officers Association called the players’ gesture “tasteless, offensive and inflammatory,” and demanded that the league discipline the players. The league declined to do so.

The department posted a statement late Monday night on its Facebook page saying that Belmar “believed [Demoff’s statement] to be an apology and the Chief sent the email to police staff to let them know about the call, after he told Mr. Demoff he would share his sentiments with his staff.”

ADVERTISEMENT

At the same time, however, the department seemingly suggested on its Twitter page that Demoff actually did apologize:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

New testimony adds 2 stunning — and previously unknown — details about the Ukraine extortion

Published

on

New testimony released Monday from the House Intelligence Committee’s investigation of the Ukraine scandal included at least two new stunning details about the quid pro quo scheme at the heart of the matter.

Overall, the transcripts for depositions of Catherine Croft and Christopher Anderson, who were advisers to U.S. envoy Kurt Volker, built on the story of that we already know: that President Donald Trump pushed a shadow foreign policy to pressure Ukraine into investigating his political opponents, a scheme that involved using his office and military aid as leverage over the country in opposition to the official policy.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump blasted for his ‘Endorsement of Doom’ after Sean Spicer loses on ‘Dancing with the Stars’

Published

on

Team Trump had gone all in urging supporters to vote for former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on the game show "Dancing with the Stars."

Votes had been urged by RNC officials and Trump himself had urged his 66 million Twitter followers to vote for Spicer.

Despite the full heft of the Trump campaign, Spicer lost on Monday's show.

Trump deleted his failed tweet urging votes for Spicer -- and instead said it was a "great try" by his former advisor.

Looks like this endorsement was as successful as your last one!

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘He’s misunderstood’: Nikki Haley tells Fox News how Trump is actually a really good listener

Published

on

Former Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley defended President Donald Trump during a Monday appearance with Fox News personality Sean Hannity.

Hannity asked the former South Carolina governor if Trump was "misunderstood."

"I do think he’s misunderstood," Haley replied.

"I can tell you, from the first day to the last day that I worked for the president, he always listened, he was always conscious of hearing other voices, allowing people to debate out the issues, and then he made his decision," Haley claimed.

She argued that, "I saw a president that was very thoughtful, looked at all of the issues, made decisions, and it was a pleasure and honor to work with him."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image