After more than five years and 15 convictions, the U.S. government’s criminal investigation of Bernard Madoff’s colossal Ponzi scheme may finally be coming to an end.
In court filings on Tuesday and Wednesday, prosecutors in New York asked judges to schedule sentencing dates for key witnesses who pleaded guilty and agreed to help investigators, including Madoff’s right-hand man, Frank DiPascali.
Cooperators are typically sentenced only after an investigation is complete, in order to give judges a full picture of the extent of their assistance.
The filings suggest that prosecutors do not expect to charge anyone else.
Bernard Madoff, 76, is serving a 150-year prison sentence after pleading guilty in 2009 to masterminding the scheme, which cost investors an estimated $17 billion in principal.
Last year, Reuters reported that prosecutors could still be building a case against Madoff’s son, Andrew.
However, he died in September after a long battle with cancer. Bernard Madoff’s other son, Mark, committed suicide in 2010 on the second anniversary of his father’s arrest.
Both sons denied knowing about the fraud. They turned their father in to authorities in December 2008.
DiPascali, who pleaded guilty in 2009, was the star government witness in the trial of five former Madoff employees, who were found guilty last March of helping Madoff cover up his fraud for decades.
Other cooperators to be sentenced include David Friehling, Madoff’s accountant; Enrica Cotellessa-Pitz, the controller at Madoff’s firm; and David Kugel, a trader who backdated trades to prop up the scheme. All testified at the trial of the former Madoff employees.
On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain, who oversaw the trial, set May sentencing dates for Cotellessa-Pitz, Kugel and two other cooperators.
DiPascali and Friehling, whose cases are before other judges, do not yet have sentencing dates. It remains possible both will be transferred to Swain for sentencing.
Swain sentenced the five Madoff workers – back-office director Daniel Bonventre, portfolio managers Annette Bongiorno and JoAnn Crupi and computer programmers Jerome O’Hara and George Perez – to between 2-1/2 and 10 years, drawing criticism from prosecutors that their punishment was too light.
In a rare step, the office of Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said it would appeal those sentences.
(Reporting by Joseph Ax; Editing by Noeleen Walder and Ken Wills)
Economic slowdown could complicate Trump’s re-election bid — but he might be able to escape consequences
President Donald Trump has overseen a historic economic expansion -- which turns 10 years old next week -- but signs of a slowdown are on the horizon as he seeks a second term.
Weaker job growth, reduced manufacturing activity and hints that the Federal Reserve could cut interest rates all suggest a recession could complicate his re-election bid, especially if he continues pushing trade wars, reported Politico.
“The economy has been a tailwind for him, but by Election Day next year it will at best no longer be blowing,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics. “There is a reasonable probability that he will be facing an economic headwind for re-election with growth slowing to the point that unemployment is starting to rise next year, though a lot depends on what he does with the trade wars and what the Fed does in response.”
Financed by tax on Wall Street speculators, Sanders plan would wipe out all $1.6 Trillion in US student loan debt
"We bailed out Wall Street in 2008. It's time to tax Wall Street's greed to help the American people."
As part of a bold legislative package that would make public colleges and universities tuition-free, Sen. Bernie Sanders on Monday will unveil a plan to wipe out the $1.6 trillion in student loan debt that is saddling an estimated 45 million Americans.
"In a generation hard hit by the Wall Street crash of 2008, it forgives all student debt and ends the absurdity of sentencing an entire generation to a lifetime of debt for the 'crime' of getting a college education."—Sen. Bernie Sanders
Biden shreds ‘divorced from reality’ Trump in blistering attack on his racism
In an op-ed published in a Florida paper -- published in both English and Spanish -- former Vice President Joe Biden slammed Donald Trump as an out-and-out racist, saying he has used "racist invective to describe anyone south of the Rio Grande.”
In the piece, published in the Miami Herald, Biden bluntly began, "Last week gave us more evidence that President Trump’s morally bankrupt re-election strategy relies on vilifying immigrants to score political points while implementing policies that ensure asylum seekers and refugees keep arriving at our border."