Quantcast
Connect with us

Settlement in Boy Scouts sexual abuse case prevents release of more ‘perversion files’

Published

on

The Boy Scouts of America have settled a high-profile sex abuse lawsuit in a move that averts a requirement to release files detailing abuse claims and incidents across the country from 1986 to 2007, an attorney said on Thursday.

The case in Santa Barbara County was closely watched because of the potential for public release of years of documents the Boy Scouts call the ineligible volunteer files but which have often been publicly derided as the “perversion files.”

The terms of the settlement in the civil lawsuit, brought by a 20-year-old man who was abused at age 13 by a Scout leader in 2007, were not immediately released.

“I’m still optimistic that at some point these files are going to become public, it just didn’t happen with this lawsuit,” said Tim Hale, an attorney for the plaintiff.

In another case in 2012, the Oregon Supreme Court ordered the release of roughly 20,000 pages of confidential Boy Scout files documenting suspected or confirmed sexual abuse by the group’s leaders and volunteers between 1965 to 1985. But thousands of additional documents from later years remained under seal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this month, Santa Barbara Superior Court Judge Donna Geck ruled the files released in the Oregon case, and thousands of similar documents from 1986 to 2007, could be presented at trial in the California case.

But due to the settlement, the public will not be allowed access to the later trove of documents not released in the Oregon case, Hale said. He could not give an exact count of how many files there were between 1986 and 2007.

The Boy Scouts have argued against releasing their ineligible volunteer files publicly in court. They have said the files are intended to keep out individuals whose actions are “inconsistent with the standards of scouting.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith said the organization was pleased it had reached a settlement.

“While we can’t comment on the specifics related to this matter, even a single instance of child victimization or abuse is intolerable and unacceptable,” Smith said.

Al Steven Stein, 37, the Scout leader at the center of the case, pleaded no contest to child abuse and child annoyance in 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stein, who was originally charged with abusing two other minors in addition to the plaintiff at the center of the civil case, is believed to be living as a registered sex offender in Salinas, California, Hale said.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Eric Beech)


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Jeffrey Epstein’s IT consultant reveals he saw girls who ‘couldn’t have more than 15 or 16’ on private island

Published

on

ABC News broke a story just after midnight Thursday about a former IT consultant of Jeffrey Epstein's who resigned because he couldn't take some of the things he was seeing on Epstein's private island compound.

The island, which has been called "pedophile island" by locals, had "topless women everywhere.

"There were photos of topless women everywhere," said contractor Steve Scully, who began working for Epstein in 1999 and continued for six years. "On his desk, in his office, in his bedroom."

Continue Reading

Facebook

Stephen Colbert mocks Eric Trump in a way that must be seen to be believed

Published

on

Stephen Colbert mocked Eric Trump so badly it has to be seen to be believed.

The moment came after Colbert played a clip of the young Trump child saying that 95 percent of the United States supports him, the camera cut to Colbert doing his Eric impression.

"I've got big gums, and I cannot lie," Colbert said.

"Yeah, 95, guys, I'm tellin' ya," Colbert said, pretending to be Eric with his lips curled up.

Continue Reading
 

CNN

Black Pennsylvania Trump voter wonders if he’s still welcome in the GOP

Published

on

Tuesday, CNN released interviews with Texas Trump supporters who defended his racist attacks on four Congresswomen of color. Wednesday night, Van Jones showed his panel of supporters of both President Donald Trump and former President Barack Obama. But things got tense when a Black Trump supporter was asked about the president's racially charged statements.

Two men, one white one Black, in the group said they supported Trump and probably would again because business was good. Two women in the group lamented that Trump's racism was hurtful for the country.

"I just go back to values," the older women said. "I value treating people with dignity. And if there is anything that is incongruent with those values, then I'm not for that. So I'm not going to put profit over my values."

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Enjoy Summer! Try Raw Story Ad-Free for $1. Invest in Progressive Journalism.
close-image