Quantcast
Connect with us

WATCH: Gun-toting ‘hacker’ arrested after crashing Dutch TV station and demanding live airtime

Published

on

An armed man disrupted Dutch television on Thursday evening when he forced his way into the building of public broadcaster NOS and demanded airtime before being overpowered by police.

The man, speaking Dutch and carrying a black pistol, could be seen pacing next to a desk in an empty studio before being arrested, in footage later shown on NOS.

The NOS building in the central city of Hilversum was evacuated. The incident interrupted NOS’s 8:00 pm (1900 GMT) newscast, with a message on screen telling viewers no broadcast was “available at this time”.

A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said at a press conference that the gunman, aged 19, came from the town Pijnacker near The Hague and was in police custody.

When the NOS television station came back on air it broadcast a video of the incident.

Wearing a dark suit, white shirt and dark tie, the gunman could be seen speaking calmly to a man off-camera as he claimed to represent a “hackers collective”, in a short video aired on NOS.

ADVERTISEMENT

He can be heard telling the man that he “wanted to talk about things that are of world importance”.

“We were hired by intelligence services. We have heard things that call society into question,” he said.

“Once my message has been sent, we’ll shake hands and you’ll be able to go home.”

He immediately dropped his weapon and raised his arms when five armed officers stormed in to restrain him, yelling at him to drop his gun.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I dropped it, I dropped it,” he replied off-screen.

A police voice was then heard saying: “The situation is under control.”

Speaking live on NOS, general director Jan de Jong said that “thank God” nobody had been injured.

Police combed the building, which was declared safe shortly after 10:00 pm (2100 GMT).

ADVERTISEMENT

The gunman also gave a threatening letter to staff, which NOS posted on its website. It said that he was “heavily armed” and not working alone.

“There are five plus 98 hackers ready for a cyber-attack,” it read, also warning of “eight heavy explosives placed in the country that contain radioactive material” and would be set off if he was prevented from making a live televised announcement.

Hilversum mayor Pieter Broertjes said extra measures had been taken to protect media workers since two gunmen killed 12 people at the Paris offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo earlier this month.

Despite the increased security, the young man still managed to force his way into the NOS studios, allegedly after threatening a security guard with a gun.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We know that since the Paris attacks the press itself has been the focus of attention. You never know when it can happen,” Broertjes said at a press conference.

Johan Bac, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office, said police and prosecutors had launched an investigation into the incident.

Police were considering charges of hostage-taking and illegal possession of a gun.

Meanwhile, local reports suggested that the man had recently lost his parents and was in a confused state of mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch footage of the incident, as posted by NBC News on Thursday, below.

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump leveled by retired general for making Iran war decisions based on advice from Fox News hosts

Published

on

During a panel discussion on the increased tensions between the U.S. and Iran after a drone was shot down by the Middle Eastern country in international airspace, a retired general claimed he was worried about Donald Trump's response based upon who it appears the president listens to when it comes to advice.

Speaking with host John Berman, retired Lt. General Mark Hertling warned that the shootdown was a dangerous provocation.

"It's huge, John," Hertling explained. "You can go all the way from backing down completely to a full-scale war -- that's what's dangerous about this situation."

Continue Reading

CNN

CNN panelist stumps host with Trump logic: ‘You can statistically say anything but I don’t see it’

Published

on

A Trump supporter on Thursday brushed off statistics showing that hate crimes have been rising since President Donald Trump's election by claiming that he has not personally seen any additional hate crimes.

During a CNN voter panel, host Alisyn Camerota quoted from official statistics showing a significant increase in hate crimes committed since Trump's upset victory in 2016.

Trump supporter Darrell Wimbley, however, wasn't buying it and he cited his own personal experiences to prove his point.

"You can say that, but I truly don't believe it because I don't see it," he said. "I can statistically say anything but I don't see it."

Continue Reading
 

CNN

Andrew McCabe rains hell on ‘insanely stupid’ Trump in epic rant before calling for impeachment hearings

Published

on

Appearing on CNN's "New Day" on Thursday morning, former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe unleashed hell on President Donald Trump for launching yet another unprovoked attack on him, saying the president says lots of "stupid things."

On Wednesday evening, the president smeared McCabe, with Trump calling him "terrible" and saying he couldn't do anything -- including go to the bathroom -- without former FBI Director James Comey's permission.

Given a chance to respond by CNN's John Berman, McCabe didn't hold back.

"You know, I've been listening to the president say insanely stupid things for years now about me personally, about my organization, and about the investigation, we undertook to find out if the president posed a threat to national security," McCabe began. "I won't get down in the weeds with the president and exchange insults on Twitter or TV or anywhere else, but the question we should be asking is: why do we have a president who feels necessary to attack individuals? Individuals -- private citizens, individuals who serve in our government -- to attack personally when he's scared of the truth that they have to offer."

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link