Quantcast
Connect with us

U.S. appeals court says Boston Marathon bombing trial can stay in city

Published

on

(Reuters) – A U.S. appeals court on Friday ruled the trial for the accused Boston Marathon bomber can go ahead in the city, over attempts from his attorneys to change the venue on the basis an impartial jury could not be seated so close to the site of the 2013 attack.

The split three-judge panel of the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals backed District Judge George O’Toole, who has three times rejected pleas by Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s lawyers to move the trial out of Boston, where the bombing killed three people and injured 264.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are unable to conclude that it is clear and indisputable that the petitioner cannot receive a fair trial by an impartial jury in the Eastern Division of Massachusetts,” the judges wrote in the 80-page opinion.

Thousands of Boston-area residents were crowded around the race’s finish line when twin bombs went off on April 15, 2013. Four days later, hundreds of thousands were ordered to remain in their homes while police conducted a massive manhunt for Tsarnaev.

That degree of personal connection to the incident will make it very difficult to empanel an impartial jury in the city, said attorney Judith Mizner, who is representing the 21-year-old Tsarnaev.

The final phase of jury selection is set to take place on Tuesday, when prosecutors and defense attorneys will whittle down the field of about 70 provisionally-qualified jurors to 18 people, including 12 jurors and six alternates.

Tsarnaev, if convicted, could face the death penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT

In dissent, District Judge Juan Torruella supported the defense’s arguments, saying that “almost the entire pool of potential jurors has been compromised” by the bombing.

“I understand what this trial means for the community: an

opportunity for closure, a sense of justice,” he said. “Rather than convicting Tsarnaev and possibly sentencing him to death based on trial-by-media and raw emotion, we must put our emotions aside and proceed in a rational manner.”

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Curtis Skinner in San Francisco; Editing by Richard Borsuk)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney caught on tape saying US is ‘desperate’

Published

on

White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney was caught on tape admitting that, despite President Donald Trump's policy preferences, the United States is "desperate" for more immigrants, according to a recording obtained by the Washington Post.

He further undermined the administration's claims of its economic prowess, admitting that immigration is necessary for sustained economic growth.

"We are desperate — desperate — for more people," Mulvaney said, according to the post, stressing that it should be legal. "We are running out of people to fuel the economic growth that we've had in our nation over the last four years. We need more immigrants."

Continue Reading

Latest Headlines

Death of Prince heir complicates estate settlement even more

Published

on

MINNEAPOLIS — The death of Prince’s brother Alfred Jackson, along with his contested will, are raising new questions in the endlessly complicated efforts to settle the legendary musician’s estate, including whether a California man with a reputation for cozying up to celebrities will end up with one-sixth of Prince’s riches.Jackson, one of six sibling heirs to a fortune worth at least $100 million, sold 90% of his Prince estate rights last year to Primary Wave, a well-funded and growing entertainment company that invests in music publishing and recording rights. Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson als... (more…)

Continue Reading
 

Latest Headlines

141 suing over Zantac cancer concerns likely to be just the beginning

Published

on

A federal judge in West Palm Beach has been assigned to deal with a legion of lawsuits leveled against a clique of pharmaceutical companies after high levels of a potentially cancer-causing chemical were discovered in one of the world’s most popular heartburn medications.Since an independent pharmacy made the discovery in September, 141 people have sued the producers of ranitidine, a drug more commonly known as Zantac-75, in federal court.That’s a lot of lawsuits.So on Feb. 6, a panel of federal judges assigned the cases to a single U.S. District Judge for pretrial matters.That’s important, be... (more…)

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image