Quantcast
Connect with us

McDonald’s hit with 28 health and safety complaints from workers in 19 cities

Published

on

McDonald’s restaurant workers from 19 U.S. cities said on Monday they have filed 28 health and safety complaints with federal and state regulators, alleging hazardous working conditions that led to severe burns from hot grills and fryer oil.

The complaints opened a new front in a more than two-year-old campaign by workers and unions seeking to roughly double pay to $15 per hour and improve working conditions for U.S. fast-food workers.

McDonald’s workers, who have also claimed they have been subjected to wage theft, racial discrimination and retaliation for attempting to unionize, ultimately hope to hold McDonald’s Corp responsible for the actions of its franchisees.

The complaints, filed over the last two weeks with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) as well as various state authorities, included allegations that workers were pressured to clean and filter fryer oil while it was still hot.

The complaints, targeting 19 franchised restaurants and nine operated by McDonald’s Corp, also claimed that many stores lacked basic first aid kits or protective gear to ensure worker safety, and that managers told workers to treat burns with condiments like mustard and mayonnaise.

McDonald’s said the company and its franchisees are committed to providing safe working conditions for employees working at the roughly 14,000 U.S. McDonald’s restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We will review these allegations,” Heidi Barker Sa Shekhem, a spokeswoman, said in a statement.

The 19 cities where complaints were filed included New York City, New Orleans, Philadelphia and Kansas City, Missouri.

Brittney Berry, 24, said she was rushing to meet managers’ demands to work faster when she slipped on a wet floor at a McDonald’s restaurant in Chicago. She suffered a severe grill burn on her forearm and nerve damage to her wrist. “The managers told me to put mustard on it, but I ended up having to get rushed to the hospital in an ambulance,” said Berry, who continues to work at the restaurant where she was injured.

The complaints were filed by workers supported by the “Fight for $15,” a campaign backed by the Service Employees International Union. They asked OSHA and state health and safety regulators to inspect the restaurants. Organizers did not have a total number of injured employees but said the number of injuries in each complaint varied.

(Reporting by Lisa Baertlein in Los Angeles; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Fox News writer: Harvard reject was just ‘espousing conservatism’ when he used the N-word 11 times

Published

on

Michael Knowles argued for Fox News this week that Kyle Kashuv was only "espousing conservatism" when he was rejected by Harvard for using the N-word at least 11 times and calling to "kill all the f*cking Jews."

In an op-ed on the Foxnews.com website, Knowles asserted that Kashuv is being singled out by Harvard because he has conservative views.

"The cruel irony is that, while there is no evidence that Kyle Kashuv harbors any actual racial bigotry, there is plenty of evidence that Harvard does," Knowles wrote. "Plaintiffs in a major racial discrimination lawsuit against the university introduced evidence last year demonstrating that Harvard systematically disadvantages Asian-American applicants."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump’s acting Pentagon chief abruptly resigns after FBI investigation delays his Senate confirmation hearing

Published

on

President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump's acting defense secretary abruptly resigned after an FBI investigation further delayed his confirmation hearings.

Patrick Shanahan has headed the Department of Defense since January, after James Mattis resigned, but the Pentagon has been fielding questions from the media about his personal life -- including accusations of abuse from his ex-wife, who was also arrested as part of a domestic dispute.

"Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan, who has done a wonderful job, has decided not to go forward with his confirmation process so that he can devote more time to his family," Trump tweeted.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Fox host: ‘Ecstatic’ Pompeo and Bolton having ‘tickle parties’ as they push Trump into conflict with Iran

Published

on

Fox News host Lisa Kennedy Montgomery on Tuesday worried that President Donald Trump's top advisors were pushing him towards a war with Iran.

"I think Mike Pompeo and John Bolton are jumping around like a couple of 11-year-olds at a sleepover," she remarked during a panel discussion on "Outnumbered."

"They're having pillow fights and tickle parties because they are ecstatic at the thought of an increased military presence near Iran. That's very unfortunate, because the problem isn’t directly challenging Iran with some of their misbehavior. The problem is getting into another Afghanistan and another protracted military campaign --"

Continue Reading
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

I need your help.

Investigating Trump's henchmen is a full time job, and I'm trying to bring in new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have more stories coming you'll love. Join me and help restore the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link

Investigating Trump is a full-time job, and I want to add new team members to do more exclusive reports. We have stories coming you'll love. Join me and go ad-free, while restoring the power of hard-hitting progressive journalism.

TAKE A LOOK
close-link