Fox News apologizes as Baltimore police deny report they shot man
Police officer with a gun (Shutterstock)

Baltimore police said on Monday that a Fox News report of a black man being shot by police in the city was not true, and the cable news network quickly issued an apology.


"On behalf of (reporter) Mike Tobin and the rest of our crew there, and the rest of us at Fox News, I'm very sorry for the error and glad we were able to correct it quickly," network anchor Shepard Smith said on the air.

The network had quoted its reporter as saying the man was shot as he was running from authorities.

Baltimore police later tweeted that the report of a man being shot was not true and that a suspect had been arrested at the scene with a handgun.

The city has been on edge after looting and arson last Monday that followed the funeral of a young black man who died from injuries suffered while in police custody.

A night curfew that had been imposed was lifted by Baltimore's mayor on Sunday. The mayor said the Maryland National Guard would begin withdrawing from the streets over the next week.

The city's chief prosecutor has brought criminal charges against the six police officers involved in Gray's arrest.

Watch video of the aftermath of the incident below:

[proxy-video https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/0jTod7ermHE?rel=0&showinfo=0 expand=1]