NEWTON — A Hackettstown attorney is pressing a lawsuit contending that a Sussex County sheriff's officer "inappropriately" placed his wand under her skirt when she tried to enter the county jail last August to visit a client and that sheriff's officers have retaliated against her since then after she sued them. The attorney, Bonita Bourke, a…
A highly leveraged attorney whose reputation is in tatters has become the go-to defense for Jan. 6 rioters.
John Pierce, whose boutique law firm is facing mountains of debt, has represented Kenosha, Wisconsin, murder suspect Kyle Rittenhouse, former Donald Trump campaign aide Carter Page and now more than a dozen U.S. Capitol rioters -- and he plans to use an unusual tactic to defend the insurrectionists, reported The Daily Beast.
"We are going to take every one of these cases to trial, we are going to seek full acquittals, and in that process we are going to find out what actually happened on Jan. 6," Pierce said at a rally in June.
Pierce said in one court hearing that he would pursue a "public authority defense," a tactic sometimes used by informants, to argue that his 17 clients believed the government -- in this case, the former president -- had legally sanctioned their crimes, but some legal observers believe that strategy is destined to fail.
"He's not a defense attorney, and therefore he's not an especially good defense attorney and it would take a tremendously good defense attorney to make a good public authority defense," explained national security journalist Marcy Wheeler. "That's why nobody else is trying it."
Pierce, who was fired by Rittenhouse over a financial dispute, is representing Proud Boy William Pepe, conservative media scion L. Brent Bozell IV, and alleged Proud Boy conspirator Ryan Samsel, although the latter notified the judge last week that he would be getting a new lawyer.
Before getting involved in MAGA cases, Pierce's law firm dissolved under more than $800,000 in tax debt and his own admitted substance abuse issues, and he reportedly sent his ex-wife menacing messages and threatened to kill her.
In the latest setback for pro-Trump social media network Gettr, jihadi extremists have flooded its "MAGA free speech zone" with terrorist propaganda — turning it into "a safe haven for ISIS," Politico reports.
"The social network — started a month ago by members of former President Donald Trump's inner circle — features reams of jihadi-related material, including graphic videos of beheadings, viral memes that promote violence against the West and even memes of a militant executing Trump in an orange jumpsuit similar to those used in Guantanamo Bay," according to the report.
Soon after being launched by former Trump spokesperson Jason Miller in late June, Gettr encountered a series of challenges, from hackers scraping troves of users' private data to leftists trolling the platform with Sonic the Hedgehog porn.
Now, Politico reports that at least 250 accounts associated with jihadi extremists have posted regularly on Gettr, underscoring the challenges faced by Trump's supporters as they seek a "safe space" online following the former president's expulsion from mainstream platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
Trump has hinted at launching his own platform, but the effort has stalled, and Gettr arguably represents the highest-profile attempt create a platform where MAGA fans can fully express themselves without the censorship of tech giants, according to Politico. But Islamic extremists, also banned by mainstream platforms, are constantly looking for new places to spread terrorist propaganda.
"Days after GETTR was launched on July 1, Islamic State supporters began urging their followers on other social networks to sign up to the pro-Trump network, in part to take the jihadi fight directly to MAGA nation," Politico reports.
Although some of the posts have been taken down, most remain up, despite Politico's efforts to contact Gettr representatives for comment about the terrorist propaganda. Part of the problem is that Gettr hasn't signed up for the Global Internet Forum to Counter Terrorism, which shares a database of extremist material with members so it can be quickly removed.
In addition to terrorist propaganda, Gettr features plenty of white-supremacist content, as well as regular posts from more mainstream figures like Sean Hannity and Mike Pompeo. "So far, Islamic State supporters are enjoying their incursion into GETTR and the possible new audience they could reach," Politico reports.
"We will come at you with slaying and explosions you worshippers of the cross," wrote one account associated with ISIS. "[H]ow great is freedom of expression."
Simone Biles is set to return to competition at the Olympic Games for the closing women's gymnastics beam final on Tuesday.
The US superstar's name was included on the list of eight finalists for the beam released on Monday.
Biles, the four-time Olympic champion widely considered to have pushed the sport to new limits, has said she is struggling with the "twisties", a condition where gymnasts lose the ability to orientate themselves in mid-air.
She dramatically pulled out of last week's opening team competition after one vault, and subsequently withdrew from the all-around final and three of the four apparatus finals -- the floor, vault and uneven bars.
The 24-year-old came to Tokyo seeking five gold medals to equal the Olympic all-time gymnastics record of nine.
She has documented her struggles with mental health during the Games in regular posts on her social media accounts.
© 2021 AFP
Don't Sit on the Sidelines of History. Join Raw Story Investigates and Go Ad-Free. Support Honest Journalism.
$95 / year — Just $7.91/month
I want to Support More
$14.99 per month