NYPD officer Brian Moore dies after being shot in head
NYPD officer (Edward Blake/Flickr)

A New York City plainclothes police officer shot in the head over the weekend as he tried to question a local man sought on gun charges died on Monday of his wounds, police and City Hall officials said.

Officer Brian Moore, 25, was shot on Saturday evening as he and his partner were seated in an unmarked car in a middle-class residential neighborhood of Queens.

He is the first officer killed in the line of duty in New York City since two uniformed officers were fatally ambushed in Brooklyn in December.

Moore had been listed in critical condition at a local hospital but died on Monday, the New York Police Department and a City Hall official said.

Moore and his partner had been trying to question Demetrius Blackwell, 35, who has an extensive criminal background, after they saw him seeming to adjust an object in his waistband, police said during a weekend news conference.

Blackwell pulled out a gun and fired several times into the vehicle, police said.

He was arrested and charged on Sunday with first-degree attempted murder, assault and other counts. Those charges were likely to be upgraded in the wake of Moore's death.

Blackwell was ordered held without bail.

Moore, who came from a family of police officers, joined the force in July 2010, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio. He lived in the suburban Long Island town of Massapequa, local media reported.

Unlike the shooting just days before Christmas of Officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu, who were targeted for their uniforms, Moore was in plainclothes and in an unmarked car, authorities said.

The gunman in that earlier case said he wanted to avenge the deaths of black men killed in confrontations with white officers.

Police said there was no indication Blackwell expressed a similar intention.

Police said Blackwell was wanted on outstanding charges, including grand larceny, criminal possession of a weapon and menacing. Blackwell's arrests included two for assaulting police officers, the Daily News reported.

Two New York plainclothes were hit by gunfire while responding to an armed robbery in the Bronx in January and survived their injuries.