Quantcast
Connect with us

Florida schools tell students they’re God’s ‘own possession’ and promote Christianity: secular group

Published

on

A secular group filed a complaint against a Florida school district that opens meetings with Christian prayers and allows teachers to promote religion to their students and colleagues.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter last week to the Levy County School Board asking for an investigation into several possible violations of the constitutional separation of church and state, reported The Gainesville Sun.

ADVERTISEMENT

After investigating complaints starting in April, the group reported seven possible violations – including explicitly Christian invocations delivered by the superintendent or school board members.

Teachers also promoted and participated in religious events, including a baccalaureate service held at a Baptist church, with students.

One of those events, the Global Day of Prayer, lasted into school hours at Williston Elementary – where FFRF said teachers display religious-themed messages in their classroom, such as “God danced the day you were born” and “You are a gift of God. His own possession.”

One teacher at the school used her district-issued email account to send weekly Bible passages to other staff members, the investigation found.

Williston High School held its Advanced Placement testing at a local Methodist church, and the school promoted sports-related events at area churches.

ADVERTISEMENT

An attorney from FFRF said the group received additional complaints after sending the letter, which noted that 30 percent of Florida adults are non-religious, Thursday to the school district.

The attorney said the group handles thousands of complaints a year, and most require little more action than notifying the proper officials – who frequently are unaware of potential violations.

“Here, the violations are so extensive (that) we’re a little less understanding and believe they probably knew a little bit more than other school districts that we deal with,” said attorney Andrew Seidel, of FFRF.

ADVERTISEMENT

An attorney for the school district said he does not believe all the points in the letter are valid, but he said any violations would be corrected to comply with constitutional standards.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Nancy Pelosi owns Chris Wallace: ‘Clearly you don’t have an understanding of what is happening here’

Published

on

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) faced off against Fox News host Chris Wallace on Sunday over the failure to negotiate a COVID-19 financial relief bill.

In an interview on Fox News Sunday, Wallace suggested that there is an upside to executive actions taken by President Donald Trump in lieu of a financial relief bill because some people will get protections from evictions "rather than getting nothing at all."

For her part, Pelosi quoted a Republican senator who said that the president's executive action is "constitutional slop."

"While he says he's going to have a moratorium on evictions, he's going to ask the folks in charge to study if that's feasible," Pelosi explained before noting that the president's payroll tax holiday serves to "undermine Social Security and Medicare."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

‘An utter disgrace’: Steve Schmidt slams Trump for his ‘slurring’ self-pitying Bedminster performance

Published

on

Republican campaign consultant -- and ardent never-Trumper -- Steve Schmidt did not think much of Donald Trump's second press conference at his Bedminster golf course on Saturday, stating the president's "slurring" performance loaded down with self-pity was an "utter f*cking disgrace."

Following the president's signing of four executive orders before adoring members of his country club, Schmidt went off on a tweetstorm, ending with calling the president "the greatest failure in American History."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

White House turmoil as Trump aides Mnuchin and Navarro get in ‘knockdown, drag-out’ yelling match: report

Published

on

According to a report from the Washington Post, a discussion in the Oval Office over social media platform TikTok collapsed into a shouting match between Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and trade advisor Peter Navarro while Donald Trump sat and watched.

One spectator described it as “knockdown, drag-out” brawl.

The Post reports Mnuchin was under the understanding that he had convinced Trump to allow a sale of TikTok to Microsoft, only to run into a roadblock put up by Navarro arguing for a total ban.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image