The archbishop and an auxiliary bishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis resigned on Monday amid charges the archdiocese failed to protect children from a sexually abusive priest.
Archbishop John Nienstedt and Bishop Lee Piché posted statements announcing their resignations on the archdiocese website. Pope Francis has accepted their resignations, Nienstedt’s statement and media reports said.
Earlier this month, prosecutors in Minnesota brought criminal charges against the archdiocese, accusing it of failing to protect children from a priest, Curtis Wehmeyer, who pleaded guilty in 2012 to sexual abuse and possession of child pornography.
Nienstedt said in his statement that he submitted his resignation “to give the archdiocese a new beginning amidst the many challenges we face.”
“My leadership has unfortunately drawn attention away from the good works of His Church and those who perform them. Thus, my decision to step down,” Nienstedt said in his statement.
Piché said in his statement that people of the archdiocese need healing and hope. “I was getting in the way of that and so I had to resign,” he said.
The charges against the archdiocese, which filed for bankruptcy protection in January, added to the child sexual abuse scandal involving the Catholic Church in many U.S. cities.
The archdiocese was charged with three misdemeanor counts of contributing to the need for protection or services for the minors who were the victims of sexual abuse and three misdemeanor counts of contributing to the minors’ status as juvenile petty offenders or delinquency. The archdiocese also faces a related civil complaint.
Wehmeyer is serving a five-year prison sentence. He also is awaiting trial on charges bought by Wisconsin prosecutors in November 2014 accusing him of sexual assaulting a third minor.
Pope Francis has appointed Bernard Hebda apostolic administrator of the archdiocese, according to a letter from Hebda posted on the archdiocese website.
Man stabbed to death at California university — he was also targeted with ‘incendiary device’
Police are searching for a murder suspect after a fatal stabbing on the first day of school at a California university.
"A retired Cal State Fullerton administrator was stabbed to death Monday morning on the first day of the university’s academic year, and authorities later found an explosive device nearby," the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.
"Fullerton police responded to reports of an assault with a deadly weapon at 8:30 a.m. in the parking lot near the College Park building. Police found the victim, a man in his late 50s, inside a silver Infiniti, bleeding from his head with multiple stab wounds to his body. Police found an 'incendiary device' near the vehicle that showed the suspect targeted the victim," the newspaper reported.
Trump is panicking because ‘his reality show sees cancellation on the horizon’: Columnist
On Monday, Eugene Robinson wrote a Washington Post op-ed suggesting President Donald Trump is self-destructing because "his reality show sees cancellation on the horizon."
"Evidence suggests that Trump is melting down. Again. And for good reason," wrote Robinson. "Fears of a global recession, greatly exacerbated by Trump's erratic and self-destructive trade policies, have sent financial markets tumbling. A sharp downturn would close off one of the principal lines of attack the president was hoping to use against his Democratic opponent. He tried it out at a rally in New Hampshire last week: 'You have no choice but to vote for me,' he told the crowd, 'because your 401(k)'s down the tubes, everything's gonna be down the tubes' if he loses. 'So whether you love me or hate me, you gotta vote for me.'"
‘Wackadoodle’ Trump is ‘seriously worried about losing’: CNN legal analyst
On Monday's edition of CNN's "The Situation Room," chief legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin discussed President Donald Trump's bizarre claim that Google "manipulated" millions of votes for Hillary Clinton.
"And there is another conspiracy theory, Jeffrey, that he's on to," said anchor Brianna Keilar. "He took to Twitter today to accuse Google of manipulating votes. He said 'Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought!"