Quantcast
Connect with us

Arrest made in shooting that prompted New Mexico 911 dispatcher to resign

Published

on

Police in New Mexico have arrested the 18-year-old son of a state lawmaker in connection with a drive-by shooting that made headlines after it was revealed that an emergency services dispatcher had hung up on a teenage girl who was trying to assist the victim.

Note: strong language in paragraph 10.

Seventeen-year-old Jaydon Chavez-Silver died in the June shooting in Albuquerque and the 911 dispatcher, Matthew Sanchez, resigned late last month. On Saturday, Albuquerque police said they had arrested the suspected shooter in the case, Donovan Maez of Albuquerque, late Friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Stephanie Maez, a Democrat from Albuquerque, confirmed Saturday that her son had been arrested.

“Donovan is my son and I love him very very much,” Maez said in a statement. “My heart is aching today and I am waiting to see how this difficult situation develops. As we go forward, the love of my family and my faith in God will see us through.”

According to a criminal complaint filed against Maez, Chavez-Silver was at a house party with 16 others when about 10 shots were fired at the house in northeast Albuquerque.

Chavez-Silver, sitting on a kitchen counter, was the only person hit by a bullet. It struck him above the right collar bone.

ADVERTISEMENT

The complaint did not offer a firm motive for the shooting, but police said there is no indication Chavez-Silver was the intended target.

The incident sparked controversy last month after the Albuquerque Fire Department released a tape of a 911 emergency call in which Sanchez is heard to tell a female caller to “deal with it herself” as she seeks help for a shooting victim.

The caller had told Sanchez she was doing cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the male. Sanchez twice asked if the teenager was breathing, according to a recording of the call released to the media.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s barely breathing. How many times do I have to fucking tell you?” the caller said.

“OK, you know what ma’am? You could deal with it yourself. I’m not gonna deal with this, OK?,” he said, before hanging up on her.

Esperanza Quintero, 17, told Albuquerque television station KOAT that she was the 911 caller.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Being on the phone and getting hung up on, that just made me more upset,” she told the station.

Chavez-Silver was later taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump has figured out how to get taxpayers to renovate one of his golf courses: MSNBC panel

Published

on

President Donald Trump has figured out how to have taxpayers pay to renovate his Trump National Doral Miami golf course, according to an analysis by MSNBC's Stephanie Ruhle.

"Before setting himself on fire on Ukraine yesterday, Mick Mulvaney came into the White House briefing room to break to the nation the fact the that the Trump Doral golf resort turns out to be -- in his estimation, organically, just sitting there -- the best possible place to have a G-7 Summit of world leaders," MSNBC's Brian Williams reported. "That was provision number one. There’s no better place that we can find. Number two was, the president will not profit from said G-7."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Bill Maher reveals plan to ‘bribe’ Trump with one billion dollars — for him to leave office

Published

on

The Constitution has two mechanisms to remove President Donald Trump from office prior to his term ending on January 20, 2021: impeachment and the 25th Amendment.

HBO "Real Time" host Bill Maher noted that Trump could also choose to resign.

Maher waved around a $1 million check that he said he would give to Trump to quit.

He said he also knew 1,000 people who would do the same -- which would land Trump over $1 billion.

Maher said even poor people would pawn their wedding rings to add to the pot.

Watch:

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump can’t fire Mulvaney because nobody else wants to be his chief of staff: report

Published

on

White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney will likely stay on at the White House despite his public confession of a quid pro quo in the Ukraine scandal at the center of the impeachment inquiry, The New York Times reported Friday.

"But Mr. Mulvaney’s job has been anything but normal since the news conference on Thursday at which he seemingly undermined the Trump administration’s strategy for avoiding impeachment by acknowledging that Mr. Trump had sought a quid pro quo for providing Ukraine with American aid," the newspaper reported. "In the chaotic aftermath, the president’s Republican allies are questioning Mr. Mulvaney’s savvy and intelligence even as the Trump campaign is defiantly turning one of his lines from the news conference into a T-shirt."

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image