Quantcast
Connect with us

Jeb Bush backtracks after questioning whether US ‘needs’ $500 million for womens’ health

Published

on

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) said he “misspoke” on Tuesday when he questioned the amount of money spent on women’s health, Talking Points Memo reported.

Bush made the remark while being interviewed at an event hosted by the Southern Baptist Convention earlier in the day, after saying that Planned Parenthood of America should be defunded.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The argument against this is, it’s a war on women, and you’re attacking womens’ health issues,” Bush said. “You could take dollar-for-dollar — although I’m not sure we need half a billion dollars for womens’ health issues — but if you took dollar-for-dollar, there are many fine organizations, community health organizations that exist. Federally-sponsored community health organizations to provide quality care for women on a wide variety of health issues. But abortion should not be funded by the government.”

Bush did not mention that, as the Washington Post reported, abortions are not covered under Planned Parenthood’s federal funding, except in cases of rape or incest.

The former governor later posted a release online attempting to clarify his statement.

“With regards to women’s health funding broadly, I misspoke,” the statement read. “There are countless community health centers, rural clinics, and other women’s health organizations that need to be fully funded. They provide critical services to all, but particularly low-income women who don’t have the access they need.”

Bush said in his statement that he was referring to the $528 million Planned Parenthood affiliates received from the government, a figure he called “hard to fathom.” He also accused the organization of “callously participating in the unthinkable practice of selling fetal organs,” a reference to a series of videos released by an anti-abortion group that have already been debunked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Bush’s remarks, as posted by Crooks And Liars, below.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

Ex-Trump adviser launches attack on Roger Stone’s jury forewoman — then dares her to sue him

Published

on

On Saturday's edition of MSNBC's "Weekends," former Trump adviser Sam Nunberg went off on a rant attacking the jury forewoman in Roger Stone's trial, accusing her of being a liar and daring her to sue him.

"That trial, I had problems with it," said Nunberg. "Amy Berman Jackson, the judge, said things at the Manafort trial that made her completely conflicted to do this trial. There was an issue with the foreman. It came out she lied ... that's what Roger is appealing."

"So, Sam, you're just saying that a jury foreman and a judge were lying," said anchor Alex Witt. "Where is the proof on that?"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump’s ‘full-on racism’ will ‘go way uglier’ as election nears: Ex-White House official

Published

on

On MSNBC Saturday, former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci warned that President Donald Trump's toxicity on race relations will only worsen in the run-up to the election in November.

"You were in charge, for a brief time, but for communications from this White House, and it does seem that Trump is going there because that's where he thinks he has to go," said host Joy Reid. "92 percent of African-Americans, not surprisingly, disapprove of Donald Trump's handling of race. But even 57 percent of white Americans disapprove of his handling of race relations. There's a lot of white marchers out there, marching for Black Lives Matter. Has he miscalculated and misread white people, at least the majority of them, in this moment?"

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump leveled in brutal Never-Trumper Republican ad accusing him of turning US into a ‘banana republic’

Published

on

In an ad released by Republicans Voter Against Trump, the president was accused of turning the U.S. into a "banana republic" after he commuted the sentence of Roger Stone who was convicted of multiple felonies.

Coming just hours after the president handed Stone a get-out-of-jail-card that kept him from turning himself into jail later this month, the dissident Republican group posted their new ad to Twitter which accused Stone of "lying under to oath" to protect Trump, while also noting that Stone was looking at three years in jail.

The ad also notes that a "criminal who lies to protect Trump goes free."

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image