An 11-year-old Detroit boy was charged with manslaughter on Wednesday in the shooting death of a 3-year-old boy, prosecutors said.
The shooting happened on Monday afternoon on the city’s east side. Prosecutors said that while visiting his father’s house, the 11-year-old took a handgun from a bedroom closet and threw it out of a bedroom window into the backyard.
The boy then retrieved the gun and entered a car parked in the backyard, prosecutors said in a statement. The three-year-old went into the same car and a short time later was shot once in the face.
“I cannot remember a time where we have charged someone so young with taking a life,” said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, in a statement. “Very unfortunately and very tragically, the alleged facts in this case demanded it.”
The office said the charge means death was caused by a weapon aimed with intent but without malice.
She provided no further information about the shooting.
The youngster also faces a felony firearm charge. Police had initially identified the boys as brothers, however, they are now trying to determine if the boys were related, according to a CBS News report.
A police spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.
A bond of $5,000 was set at a pre-trial hearing in juvenile court on Wednesday afternoon, according to Wayne County assistant prosecutor Mark Bernardi.
No names were released.
Texas Republicans are abandoning the state’s GOP Speaker: ‘We no longer support him’
Some of the most powerful Texas House Republicans said Monday they no longer support GOP Speaker Dennis Bonnen, marking the biggest blow yet to his political future amid the fallout from a secret recording released last week by a hardline conservative activist.
Five Republicans considered senior members of the lower chamber issued a statement withdrawing support for him: State Reps. Four Price of Amarillo, Dan Huberty of Houston, Lyle Larson of San Antonio, Chris Paddie of Marshall and John Frullo of Lubbock.
Donald Trump is making a mockery of Marco Rubio — and the Florida senator is letting him
Sen. Marco Rubio was once one of Donald Trump’s most formidable opponents; now, the Florida senator bends over backward to excuse the president’s corruption.
In 2016, Rubio and Trump sparred frequently on the Republican primary debate stage. Trump picked the uninspired nickname “Little Marco” for the senator, which didn’t seem to do much damage on its own, but Rubio never gained the momentum or strength that his backers hoped would prove to be strong enough to take down the reality TV candidate. As Rubio grew desperate, he launched one of his most memorable and pitiful attacks by stooping to his opponent’s level, implying that Trump had a small penis. It was more of an embarrassing moment for Rubio than anyone else, though Trump helped himself with a crude rejoinder.
The faith of Fox News: How the network’s propaganda warps viewers’ sense of reality
A longtime sticking point among Fox News employees is their insistent differentiation between its news division, where employees practice actual journalism, and its opinion division, where employees practice actual nativism, spew misinformation, and have been actively campaigning for Donald Trump’s re-election since 2016. Inside the organization, they claim to believe that the news side is separate from the opinion side, and insist that the audience can tell the difference.
News anchor Shepard Smith once characterized comparing the two as “apples and teaspoons.”