Quantcast
Connect with us

Sheriff’s deputies fired after body cam shows false profanity accusation against Seattle bus driver

Published

on

Body camera captures argument between bus driver Kelvin Kirkpatrick and two Kings County sheriff's deputies. [The Seattle Times]

Two sheriff’s deputies patrolling Seattle’s transit system have been fired for falsely accusing a bus driver of using profanity during an argument captured by a body camera the driver was wearing, police said on Tuesday.

The firings resulted from an investigation into a complaint filed by King County Sheriff’s Office Sergeant Lou Caballero after an early morning argument on Nov. 14 between him and driver Kelvin Kirkpatrick in downtown Seattle, internal Sheriff’s Office documents showed.

ADVERTISEMENT

During the argument, Kirkpatrick, a 20-year transit veteran, criticized Caballero and his deputies for not removing non-paying “sleepers” from his bus.

Caballero said Kirkpatrick yelled at him: “You got three fucking deputies out here that don’t do nothing.” Another deputy, Amy Shoblom, attested to that in a witness statement.

Footage recorded by the body camera Kirkpatrick was wearing, which was given to investigators, showed the driver had not used any profanity.

“I’m not yelling at you, sergeant. … I’m expressing how frustrated I am at the fact that I’ve got three deputies that don’t do anything when I need help,” Kirkpatrick can be heard saying.

Caballero was fired effective last Thursday, and Shoblom was fired earlier this month, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Jason Stanley said on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Caballero, who was not aware he was being videotaped, was fired for dishonesty and retaliation, and Shoblom was fired for dishonesty, according to termination letters from Sheriff John Urquhart that were posted online.

According to Urquhart’s letter, Caballero had suggested the driver manipulated the video.

Julie Kays, an attorney representing Caballero and Shoblom, said Caballero was wrongfully terminated and that the investigation supporting that decision was flawed and biased.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are currently conducting a thorough and wide reaching investigation into the Sheriff’s Department’s treatment of Lou,” Kays said. “We look forward to presenting the results of this investigation to a jury.”

Shoblom could not immediately be reached for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson in Seattle; Editing by Peter Cooney)

Watch video of the encounter, as posted by the Seattle Times, below.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

COVID-19

‘National human disaster’ looms as utility shutoff moratoriums come to an end across US

Published

on

Millions of Americans "shouldn't have to forgo more meals just to keep the lights on so their children can attend remote classes."

With state and local moratoriums on utility shutoffs set to expire and many American families continuing to fall behind on mounting bills, a new report estimates that millions of households in the U.S. will be at risk of losing access to electricity by October, generating renewed calls for Congress to enact a nationwide moratorium on utility shutoffs.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump supporter arrested for child abuse after striking 12-year-old girl with a flagpole: report

Published

on

A Florida man was arrested this week after he was caught on video assaulting a 12-year-old girl with a flag pole, the Florida Times-Union reports.

Norbert Eugene Logsdon Jr. was charged Wednesday with abuse of a child without great bodily harm. He was subsequently released in bail.

The incident was captured on video by the child's mother and was posted to Facebook. She and her daughter were driving past a sidewalk pro-Trump demonstration when the mother yelled something antagonistic to the Trump supporters. That's when Logsdon shoved the flagpole through the open right-front passenger window.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump woos farmers with promise of $14 billion in pandemic aid

Published

on

In a bid to win over voters in US farm states, President Donald Trump announced up to $14 billion in aid to farmers and ranchers hurt by the coronavirus pandemic.

With just six weeks left until the presidential election, Trump made the promise at a rally in Wisconsin late Thursday, but the funds come from an existing program and it is unclear how much additional money is left to spend.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) provided details Friday of the new round of payments, which will distribute whatever funds remain from a replenishment provided by Congress to farmers unable to sell their products or who are facing higher costs.

Continue Reading