Quantcast
Connect with us

Sweden to drop some charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange

Published

on

Swedish prosecutors are set to drop a sexual assault probe against Julian Assange on Thursday when the case reaches its expiration date without investigators having succeeded in questioning the WikiLeaks founder.

Two of the four allegations against Assange — who has been holed up at Ecuador’s London embassy since 2012 to avoid extradition — are reaching their statute of limitations after five years.

ADVERTISEMENT

The accusations involve one count of sexual assault and another of unlawful coercion. A separate allegation of sexual molestation will run out on August 18.

The 44-year-old Australian can still however be prosecuted for the more serious claim of rape, which carries a 10-year statute of limitations and expires in 2020.

Assange denies the allegations against him, brought by two Swedish women, and insists the sexual encounters were consensual.

Under Swedish law, if a suspect is not questioned before the deadline expires, they can no longer be tried for the alleged crimes.

Despite repeated attempts, prosecutors have been unable to gain access to Ecuador’s embassy.

ADVERTISEMENT

They initially insisted Assange return to Sweden for interrogation — a condition he rejected on fears Stockholm could deliver him to US authorities, who may try him for leaking nearly 750,000 classified military and diplomatic documents in 2010.

In a U-turn in March, prosecutors agreed to Assange’s compromise offer to question him inside the London mission but say they have yet to see their request approved by Ecuador because of procedural issues — leading critics to suspect Quito of playing the clock.

Attorneys for Assange however say suspicions that Ecuador is using delaying tactics are unfounded.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The (Swedish) request came in late and is being processed by Ecuador, which will certainly approve it after following its own procedures,” Assange’s Swedish lawyer Per Samuelsson told AFP earlier this month.

Claes Borgstrom, a lawyer for one of the two women accusing Assange of having assaulted them in 2010, said his client was trying to come to terms with the likelihood that the case will never be tried.

ADVERTISEMENT

“She has always been ready to stand by her accusations and wanted to bring the case to court. But at the same time a weight has been lifted. This has been dragging on for five years and she wants to go back to her normal life,” he told the daily Dagens Nyheter.

Assange has compared living inside the embassy — which has no garden but is in the plush Knightsbridge district, near Harrods department store — to life on a space station.

His 15 feet by 13 feet (4.6 by 4 metre) room is divided into an office and a living area. He has a treadmill, shower, microwave and sun lamp and spends most of his day at his computer.

ADVERTISEMENT

He is subject to a European arrest warrant and Britain has vowed to detain him if he sets foot outside the embassy, which is under constant police surveillance.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Radio host taken off air mid-show after clip resurfaces of him discussing Trump and Roy Cohn

Published

on

Coverage of the conviction of longtime Donald Trump political advisor Roger Stone resulted in a radio show host being booted in the middle of his show -- that he's hosted for over five years.

"Craig Silverman, a former chief deputy district attorney in Denver and current radio host on the conservative 710 KNUS, was taken off the air midshow Saturday after replaying an old interview clip in which he expressed hesitations about President Donald Trump," The Denver Post reported Saturday.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Never Trump Republican predicts surprise Walter Reed visit an ‘excuse’ to resign for ‘health reason’

Published

on

President Donald Trump made a surprise visit to Walter Reed Hospital on Saturday to undergo "portions" of his annual physical.

Following the visit, press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed Trump was "healthy" and "without complaints" after the presidential motorcade returned to the White House.

Conservative pundit Cheri Jacobus suggested the visit was a political move to tee up Trump's resignation -- and pardoning.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Stephanie Grisham claims Trump is ‘healthy’ and ‘without complaints’ after surprise visit to hospital

Published

on

The White House announced that President Donald Trump is healthy after an unscheduled trip to Walter Reed Hospital.

“After a quick exam and labs, the President is headed back downtown," press secretary Stephanie Grisham said.

"The President remains healthy and energetic without complaints, as demonstrated by his repeated vigorous rally performances in front of thousands of Americans several times a week," she argued.

Trump has been holding one or two political rallies a week, where he regularly speaks for well over an hour.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image