Two people killed at New Hampshire circus event after storm causes tent to collapse
Two people were killed and 15 others injured when a circus tent collapsed in New Hampshire during a storm on Monday night, according to WCVB TV station, an ABC affiliate.
Citing authorities, the Boston station said 250 people were inside the tent when it collapsed as a storm moved through the Lancaster fairgrounds.
The tent collapsed during a performance, the station said. Lancaster is about 90 miles north of the state capital of Concord.
A spokesman for Lancaster police was not immediately available for comment. The Twitter account for Governor Maggie Hassan said state officials were monitoring the situation and that the State Emergency Operations Center had been activated.
Florida-based Walker International Events was scheduled to do shows at the fair, according to WCVB. A representative for the company was not immediately available for comment.
Thunderstorms had been forecast for the New Hampshire area on Monday night. The Lancaster accident comes a day after high winds blew over a tent at a music festival in the Chicago suburb of Wood Dale, killing a 35-year-old man and injuring 15 others.
(Reporting by Mary Wisniewski in Chicago; Editing by Eric Beech)
Watch a report on the tent collapse, as aired by CBS News on Monday, below.