Paranormal investigators Mark and Debra Constantino, who appeared on television series “Ghost Adventures,” were found shot to death in an apartment after a standoff with police in Nevada, authorities said on Thursday.
Police in Sparks, an eastern suburb of Reno, said officers did not open fire when they entered the apartment on Tuesday after conducting hostage negotiations with Mark Constantino.
The couple had appeared as guest stars on the Travel Channel program “Ghost Adventures” between at least 2008 and 2011. In it, they were presented as so-called Electronic Voice Phenomena experts who specialized in recording the faint voices of ghosts.
Police said the pair had been involved in prior domestic violence incidents, and local media reported that they were going through divorce proceedings.
The events leading up to the discovery of the Constantinos’ bodies began on Tuesday morning when police responding to an emergency call in Reno, 550 miles (885 km) northwest of Las Vegas, found the dead body of James Anderson, 55, who had been shot in the head, authorities said.
Investigators learned that Debra Constantino, 52, who was Anderson’s roommate, was missing, and they tracked the Constantinos’ cell phones using GPS technology to an apartment in Sparks, the Sparks police department said in a statement.
When officers went to the door, they heard gunfire inside and a male voice told them to back off, police said.
Heavily armed officers then set up a perimeter around the apartment and negotiators talked to Mark Constantino by phone during the roughly two-hour standoff, police said.
When police then heard a single gunshot from inside the dwelling, a special weapons and tactics team rushed in and the Constantinos were found dead.
Police said an autopsy was conducted but that the exact circumstances of the deaths has not been determined.
Zak Bagans, the host of “Ghost Adventures,” said it was “a very tragic dark day,” in a message on Twitter on Tuesday.
Reno police said in August they had arrested Mark Constantino, 53, on charges of kidnapping, domestic battery and strangulation, and that his daughter also was arrested.
Local media reported that the two were later released on bond and that the person allegedly attacked in the incident was Debra Constantino.
(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Daniel Wallis)
Buffalo has a long history of protecting cops from criminal charges: report
On Saturday, The Daily Beast documented the recent history of use of force in the Buffalo Police Department, which is reeling from controversy as two officers face assault charges for shoving a 75-year-old protester to the ground.
"As shocking as this all may be to outsiders, the shoving of demonstrator Martin Gugino and the defiant response of officers to an effort to discipline two of their own is indicative of the state of police affairs in Buffalo," wrote Jim Heaney. "Has been for a long time, not that you have to go back too far to find other episodes of brutality that have been captured on video."
Internet disgusted after Buffalo first responders cheer cops charged with assaulting 75-year-old protester
Commenters on Twitter expressed both contempt and disgust for Buffalo firefighters and police officers who turned out in front of Buffalo City Court to support two suspended police officers with applause and cheering.
Moments after officers Aaron Torglaski and Robert McCabe were charged with second-degree assault and then released without having to post bail, they were greeted as heroes outside the courthouse.
After a video was posted showing the celebration, commenters on Twitter vented at cops and firefighters for defending the two officers who assaulted the 75-year-old man who had to be rushed to a hospital after they shoved him to the ground where he sustained a head injury.
Donald Trump’s lurch toward fascism is backfiring spectacularly
Welcome to another edition of What Fresh Hell?, Raw Story’s roundup of news items that might have become controversies under another regime, but got buried – or were at least under-appreciated – due to the daily firehose of political pratfalls, unhinged tweet storms and other sundry embarrassments coming out of the current White House.
During the 2016 campaign, as Donald Trump railed against "Mexican rapists" and other "criminal aliens," pollsters found that the share of Americans who said that immigrants worked hard and made a positive contribution to our society increased significantly, and noticed a similar decline in the share who said they take citizens' jobs and burden our social safety net. After Trump was elected and began pursuing his Muslim ban, the share of respondents who held a positive view of Islam also increased pretty dramatically. I'm not aware of any polling of the general public about transgender troops serving in the military before Trump decided to discharge them, but Gallup found that 71 percent of respondents opposed his position after he did.