Quantcast
Connect with us

Jeb Bush gets testy at CNN debate about brother’s record: ‘There’s one thing I know for sure, he kept us safe’

Published

on

GOP hopeful Jeb Bush lashed out at critics of his brother on Wednesday and insisted that the older Bush had kept America safe, regardless of the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

During the CNN Republican presidential debate at the Reagan Library, host Hugh Hewitt forced Jeb Bush to admit that he would draw foreign policy advisers from the presidencies of his father, George H. W. Bush, and his brother, George W. Bush.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Of course, that’s the case,” Bush said. “But I’m my own man. I’m going to create a strategy that based on the simple fact that the United States need to lead the world.”

“I will have a team that will follow the doctrine that I set up,” he insisted. “And it will be peace through strength.”

Donald Trump responded by reminding the other candidates that he had vocally opposed the Iraq war.

“It’s about judgement,” Trump opined.

“The lack of understanding about the way the world works is really dangerous,” Bush shot back. “Is that the judgement that you bring to the table, that Hillary Clinton is a great negotiator?”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Your brother and your brother’s administration gave us Barack Obama,” Trump interrupted. “It was such a disaster those last three months that Abraham Lincoln couldn’t have been elected.”

That comment clearly annoyed the former president’s brother.

“As it relates to my brother, there’s one thing I know for sure,” Bush quipped. “He kept us safe. I don’t know if you remember, Donald. Do you remember the rubble, you remember the firefighter with his arms around him? He sent a clear signal that the United States would be strong and fight Islamic terrorism.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“And he did keep us safe,” the candidate concluded.

Watch the video below from CNN.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

COVID-19

White House adds 20 percent increase to ‘best case’ projection of coronavirus deaths

Published

on

The White House is moving the goal posts once again. Instead of taking drastic action, like asking every state's governor to mandate a quarantine to reduce the spread of coronavirus, it is quietly upping its projected death toll, just one day after stunning Americans with a six-digit death rate.

On Sunday President Donald Trump told Americans he thinks if 100,000 Americans die from coronavirus he will have done "a very good job."

On Monday Dr. Deborah Birx announced the White House is projecting 100,000 to 200,000 deaths.

Tuesday evening, the number increased 20 percent.

Continue Reading

Elections 2016

Olympic athletes in ‘impossible position’ – Canada

Published

on

Canadian Olympic chiefs said Monday the health and safety of athletes had prompted the country's decision to withdraw its team from the Tokyo Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic.

A day after Canada became the first team to announce its withdrawal from the July 24-August 9 Games, Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) chief David Shoemaker said athletes had been left in an "impossible position."

With public health authorities urging individuals to stay inside to curb the spread of COVID-19, athletes had been caught between a desire to heed health and safety advice while trying to minimize disruption to training programs.

Continue Reading
 

Elections 2016

Vietnamese women strive to clear war-era mines

Published

on

Inching across a field littered with Vietnam war-era bombs, Ngoc leads an all-women demining team clearing unexploded ordnance that has killed tens of thousands of people -- including her uncle.

"He died in an explosion. I was haunted by memories of him," Le Thi Bich Ngoc tells AFP as she oversees the controlled detonation of a cluster bomb found in a sealed-off site in central Quang Tri province.

More than 6.1 million hectares of land in Vietnam remain blanketed by unexploded munitions -- mainly dropped by US bombers -- decades after the war ended in 1975.

At least 40,000 Vietnamese have since died in related accidents. Victims are often farmers who accidentally trigger explosions, people salvaging scrap metal, or children who mistake bomblets for toys.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image