Quantcast
Connect with us

George W. Bush tells GOP donors: Jeb shouldn’t feel the need to defend my record

Published

on

Former President George W. Bush believes his brother Jeb should stop defending the White House decisions the elder Bush made, and he is seeking to reassure jittery supporters about the health of Jeb’s campaign, according to sources.

Some of Jeb Bush’s most difficult moments on the campaign trail have come when he has gotten caught up in a debate about George W. Bush’s decision to go to war in Iraq in 2003.

More recently, Jeb Bush responded aggressively when Republican rival Donald Trump charged that the former president did not keep the United States safe because the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks took place on his watch.

Jeb Bush’s lackluster performance at Wednesday’s debate in Boulder, Colorado, further fueled a narrative of a candidate who is struggling to find his footing and who has been forced to cut payroll and staff in response to declining campaign donations.

At a Washington hotel on Thursday, George W. Bush addressed hundreds of people who had worked in his administration. Attendees at the event said the 69-year-old former president was funny and self-deprecating and appeared to be at peace with himself and his record.

ADVERTISEMENT

A participant said Jeb Bush’s struggling campaign came up only briefly in the question-and-answer period. The elder Bush said it is still early in the race to choose a Republican nominee for the November 2016 presidential election and that his brother remains a strong candidate.

George W. Bush volunteered that Jeb may feel the need to defend him for familial reasons.

“But he should not feel the need to do it,” the participant said Bush told the group. “The decisions that he made back then were unique to that time and space and they don’t need to be defended by him or others today.”

ADVERTISEMENT

George W. Bush later headlined a fundraising event in Washington’s Georgetown neighborhood that a donor said raised at least $350,000 for his brother’s campaign.

Two attendees at this event, described as upbeat and positive, reported that George W. Bush said Jeb can recover from his debate performance last week.

“He said that he believes in his brother, that he has a strong record, that he has it in his heart and his gut to do it,” said one major donor who attended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bush noted his own ability to come back after being defeated by John McCain in the New Hampshire primary in 2000.

“He said campaigns are supposed to have ups and downs,” said another attendee. “If you can’t handle the ups and downs of the campaign, you can’t handle the ups and downs of the presidency.”

With another debate coming up in Milwaukee on Nov. 10, Jeb Bush, who served two terms as Florida’s governor, is seeking to reassure his supporters that he can perform better.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ve got eight more debates,” he told MSNBC on Thursday. “I’m going to have to do what other candidates do, which is: Rudely interrupt, not answer the questions that are asked, and hopefully the debate moderators will actually ask more substantive questions as well.”

The Bush campaign hopes to rebound next week with events that will play to Bush’s strengths. His “Jeb can fix it” tour will coincide with the release of an e-book about his time in office. A big speech is planned on Monday in Tampa, Florida.

Eric Ferhnstrom, who was a senior adviser to 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney, said Jeb Bush needs to project strength at the next debate.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The problem for Jeb now is he is in a bit of a doom loop where bad news feeds on itself,” Ferhnstrom said. “It’s a long road to the White House and at some point everyone gets put against the ropes. The question is how quickly can you get off the ropes and back into the fight.”

(Reporting by Steve Holland; Editing by Leslie Adler)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

CNN

Trump supporter blames Democrats for being targeted by the president: ‘Why is that racist?’

Published

on

CNN interviewed a supporter of President Donald Trump in Eau Claire, Wisconsin who refused to acknowledge the racism in the president's "Go Back" attacks on four women of color in Congress.

The network interviewed Kerri Krumenauer of Wiersgalla Plumbing & Heating Company about Trump's attacks.

"How is it racist?" she asked.

"If you don't like this country, get out," she demanded. "Leave!"

She then showed how misinformed she was about the incident.

"He didn't use any names -- they stood up," she falsely claimed. In fact, Trump did use names and the targets did not stand up as they were not at his North Carolina campaign rally.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Here’s how Trump hopes to recreate his 2016 presidential win — and how Democrats can send him packing

Published

on

Writing for CNN on Saturday, election forecaster Harry Enten explained how President Donald Trump's recent, racist behavior lies in his desire to recreate the same electoral conditions that gave him a victory in 2016 in the presidential election next year.

"The Trump strategy is pretty simple: 1. Drive up the unfavorable ratings of his Democratic rival as he did in 2016 in order to compensate for his own low ratings. 2. Bank on an electoral college/popular vote split as he did in 2016. 3. Use a campaign of racial resentment to drive up turnout even more among groups favorable toward the President," wrote Enten. As he noted, Democrats have excellent odds to flip back Michigan and Pennsylvania, but they will have to work harder to win back any of the other states Trump flipped from the 2012 Obama camp — in particular Wisconsin, which was the closest state after those two.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

American, Italian and Russian blast off for ISS

Published

on

US, Italian and Russian astronauts blasted into space Saturday, headed for the International Space Station, in a launch coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing.

Alexander Skvortsov of the Russian space agency Roscosmos, NASA's Andrew Morgan and Luca Parmitano of the European Space Agency set off on a six-hour journey to the orbiting science lab from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 1628 GMT.

A NASA TV commentator hailed a "textbook launch" minutes after blastoff in "sweltering" weather in Baikonur, where daytime temperatures reached 43 degrees Celsius on Saturday.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image