George Zimmerman says he accidentally posted image of Trayvon Martin’s body — but left it up for days
George Zimmerman seems to have made a lifestyle out of provoking people with self-aware insensitivity on Twitter after being acquitted of killing unarmed high school student Trayvon Martin in 2012.
On Tuesday, however, even he acknowledged he went too far when he retweeted a photograph of the 17-year-old’s lifeless body sent to him by an admirer last week with the caption calling Zimmerman a “one man army,” the Orlando Sentinel reports.
In a letter posted to Twitter, Zimmerman said he didn’t mean to post the image, saying he couldn’t see it when he posted it because the user, “Super Star Destroyer,” had voluntary selected to have all image flagged sensitive.
“I did not click on the blocked image to preview it prior to re-tweeting it,” Zimmerman said in the letter.
The letter, which begins with the salutation , “Dear Supporter,” says he wouldn’t have tweeted the image purposely, citing his Christian beliefs.
“As many have learned about me throughout my trial and subsequent events, I hold my Christian values very close. I believe that me knowingly re-tweeting that image, would not be looked upon favorably by God; therefore I would not do it,” he wrote.
But the New York Daily News points out that the photo stayed up for days and it was Twitter that removed it, not Zimmerman.
“Clearly, as evidenced by my timeline and my re-tweets immediately before and after the re-tweet with the link to the image of the body, I was simply acknowledging what I believed to be words of encouragement.”
But the Daily News points out that he seemed to be taunting people and expressing self pity about the image when he said last Monday, “”I wonder when Twitter will take these images down???” about an old “Wanted” image with a picture of his face.
Zimmerman also tweeted out the personal cell phone and work numbers of Tennessee auto worker Micah Williams, who was tagged in the tweet showing Martin’s body, resulting in Williams receiving “thousands” of harassing phone calls, the Daily News reports.
The sudden contrition seemed out of character for a man who in August seemingly bragged about killing the teenager when a troll told him it was “slap-an-idiot Wednesday.”
“We all know how it ended for the last moron that hit me. Give it a whirl cupcake,” Zimmerman had responded, apparently referring to Martin.