Quantcast
Connect with us

Los Angeles will now require handguns to be kept under lock and key after council vote

Published

on

Handgun owners in Los Angeles would have to keep their weapons locked in a box or disabled with a trigger lock under a measure aimed at protecting children that was given unanimous approval on Tuesday by the city council.

The provisions would not apply to people carrying a handgun or having one in their immediate control, such as when cleaning it, said Ian Thompson, a spokesman for Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Krekorian.

ADVERTISEMENT

The measure is expected to be signed by Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, and would go into effect 30 days later.

With that, Los Angeles would join the California cities of San Francisco and Sunnyvale, which have similar rules, Thompson said. The states of Massachusetts and New York also have laws requiring guns to be locked up.

“People in Los Angeles and throughout the country understand that commonsense steps like this are necessary to prevent tragedies that we see all too often,” Krekorian said in a statement.

Backers of the measure said it will keep children safer in the nation’s second-largest city by reducing the chances of a child grabbing a handgun and accidentally killing someone else or themselves.

It would require handguns to be stored in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock when not in use, Thompson said.

ADVERTISEMENT

This summer, Los Angeles adopted a law banning the possession of a handgun or rifle magazine holding more than 10 rounds.

The California Rifle and Pistol Association along with a number of sheriffs in California earlier this month sued the city in Los Angeles Superior Court in an attempt to block the magazine measure from going into effect as scheduled on Nov. 19.

A representative for the California Rifle and Pistol Association, the official association in the state of the National Rifle Association, declined to comment on the latest gun control measure adopted by the Los Angeles City Council.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Eric Walsh)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Not true’: Manic GOPer Mark Meadows shut down by CNN’s Bash for repeating lie about Ukraine

Published

on

A fifteen-minute CNN interview with Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) wound down to an abrupt end on Sunday morning as the "State of the Union" host Dana Bash cut off the Trump defender's insistence there was no quid pro quo offer from the president to Ukraine's leadership, with the CNN host telling the GOP lawmaker, "That's not true. I don't want to debate about it."

In an interview where Meadows continued to rage about former Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter, Bash finally brought up Trump's phone call to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky that led to the impeachment inquiry.

Discussing the call where Trump asked for a favor, Meadows pushed back after she said Trump, "Allegedly held up aid and he said it in this phone call."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

GOP’s Collins demands delay in impeachment hearing after being overwhelmed with Dem’s massive case against Trump

Published

on

Rep. Doug Collins (R-GA) has demanded that Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY) postpone a scheduled House Judiciary Committee hearing slated for Monday after being blindsided by a massive report from the Democrats on the committee making the case for the impeachment of President Donald Trump.

According to Newsmax, Collins -- who has become one of the president's main surrogates opposing ouster of the president -- fired back at the Democrats over their Saturday release of thousands of pages of documents to be considered from the House impeachment investigation.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump revealed his impeachment strategy 21 years ago — when he defended Bill Clinton

Published

on

Digging back into the archives, Politico reveals that President Donald Trump appears to be re-purposing the advice he suggested to Bill Clinton when the embattled Democratic president faced impeachment 21 years ago.

According to the report, Trump made an appearance on NBC's Hardball during the Clinton impeachment saga, where he told host Chris Matthews that Clinton needed to "go after his enemies," which has, to date, been Trump's main response to his own impeachment.

Continue Reading