Quantcast
Connect with us

Nightclub fire in Bucharest kills 27 people and leaves 150 injured

Published

on

At least 27 people were killed and more than 150 injured after a fire ripped through a nightclub in Bucharest, government officials said.

The blaze broke out at the Colectiv night club in the Romanian capital at around 11:00 pm (2100 GMT), as some 200 people had gathered to hear a gig by rock group Goodbye to Gravity promoting their new album.

Witnesses quoted by local media said an explosion occurred when fireworks were let off as part of the show, sparking a violent fire and causing panic in the crowd.

Police have started an investigation into the incident, and in the early hours of Saturday morning groups of sombre-faced officers were still sifting through evidence outside the club.

Interior Minister Gabriel Oprea said a meeting had been called of a national emergency committee, which would include representatives from across the government.

ADVERTISEMENT

President Klaus Iohannis said he was “shocked” by the incident, adding that he was in “deep pain following the tragedy that took place this evening in the centre of the capital”.

“It is a very sad moment for our nation,” he said in a post on his Facebook page, expressing his “solidarity and compassion” for the families of the victims.

The interior ministry said 27 people had died so far, raising an earlier toll of 25, while more than 160 injured people were being treated in several hospitals in the capital.

ADVERTISEMENT

Oprea branded the incident a “tragedy” and his ministry said several telephone lines have been set up to keep friends and family of those hurt informed.

A Facebook page has already been set up calling on Romanians to donate blood.

“A tragedy has happened this evening in Bucharest. There is currently enough blood, but tomorrow we will need all of you,” said a statement on the page, encouraging people to head to the city’s blood transfusion clinic in the morning.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

The real problem wasn’t the racism — it was the Trump taking ‘the Lord’s name in vain’ twice: supporter

Published

on

President Donald Trump was widely condemned after supporters at a campaign rally in West Virginia turned his racist "go back" message into a "Send Her Back" chant against one of a woman of color in Congress.

One Trump supporter in West Virginia also criticized the speech, but not for the racist targeting of Rep. Ilhan Omar.

State Senator Paul Hardesty, a Democrat, wrote to the White House to complain about Trump's use of the word "goddamn."

The letter was republished by the Montgomery-Herald.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Tongue-tied GOP strategist crashes and burns on-air while trying to deny Trump’s racism

Published

on

Republican strategist Amy Tarkanian crashed and burned on CNN on Saturday while attempting to deny President Donald Trump's racism.

"I do not believe that the president’s tweets were racist. I do believe they were not well thought out. He needs that extra, 'Are you sure?' button on Twitter," Tarkanian argued.

"I'm a black man, I'm a Republican and a black man," the Rev. Joe Watkins interjected. "My mother's an immigrant, I would be angry if someone said that to my mother."

"Oh, it’s very offensive. But he did not say, because you are this color, go back to where you came from," Tarkanian argued. "I’m not supporting that tweet. Was it racist? No. Was it stupid? Yes."

Continue Reading
 

CNN

Trump supporter blames Democrats for being targeted by the president: ‘Why is that racist?’

Published

on

CNN interviewed a supporter of President Donald Trump in Eau Claire, Wisconsin who refused to acknowledge the racism in the president's "Go Back" attacks on four women of color in Congress.

The network interviewed Kerri Krumenauer of Wiersgalla Plumbing & Heating Company about Trump's attacks.

"How is it racist?" she asked.

"If you don't like this country, get out," she demanded. "Leave!"

She then showed how misinformed she was about the incident.

"He didn't use any names -- they stood up," she falsely claimed. In fact, Trump did use names and the targets did not stand up as they were not at his North Carolina campaign rally.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image