Quantcast
Connect with us

Police raid Volkswagen headquarters as emissions cheating probe mounts in Germany and US

Published

on

German police swooped on Volkswagen’s headquarters on Thursday, carrying away files and hard disks as the investigation into a massive pollution cheating scandal expanded on both sides of the Atlantic.

Private apartments were also raided in Volkswagen’s hometown of Wolfsburg and other cities, prosecutors told AFP, as police sought to secure documents and digital data that could point to those responsible for the deception of global proportions.

ADVERTISEMENT

The raids came as Volkswagen’s US chief Michael Horn faced a grilling before Congress, where he sought to distance himself from the scandal while blaming it on engineers in Germany.

Horn told a committee that he had learned in early 2014 that the group’s ostensibly environmentally friendly diesel cars breached pollution rules.

But he said he did not know until last month that “defeat devices” had been installed deliberately in the vehicles to help them cheat US pollution tests.

When the emissions problem was first discovered by US university researchers last year, he said, “I had no understanding what a defeat device was. And I had no indication whatsoever that a defeat device could have been in our cars.”

– Deepening crisis –

The world’s largest automaker sank into the deepest crisis of its history after revealing last month that it equipped 11 million diesel VWs and Audis with software that switches the engine to a low-emissions mode during tests.

ADVERTISEMENT

The software then turns off pollution controls when the vehicle is on the road, allowing it to spew out harmful levels of toxic gases.

The shocking revelations have wiped more than 40 percent off Volkswagen’s market capitalisation. The company risks billions of dollars in fines and lawsuit damages in several countries, as well as being forced to pay for fixes and to compensate dealers.

In the US, the company could be fined up to $18 billion by the Environmental Protection Agency alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This is a whole lot of money, I’m quite sure,” Horn told legislators when asked about the costs of the fraud.

One congressman, Peter Welch, blasted the company, labelling it “the Lance Armstrong of the auto industry,” after the champion cyclist shamed and banned for doping.

ADVERTISEMENT

– ‘A couple of engineers’ –

In Germany, prosecutors from Lower Saxony said raids were carried out to secure data that “can provide information about the exact conduct of company employees and their identities in the manipulation of exhaust emissions of diesel vehicles”.

Several people are targeted in the probe, according to a spokeswoman for the prosecutors, Julia Meyer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Volkswagen confirmed that it had handed over documents to prosecutors, adding that the company would provide the necessary support to the probe.

A spokesman said it was “also in the interest of Volkswagen” for there to be “a prompt and thorough explanation” of the scandal.

Volkswagen’s new chief Matthias Mueller has said four employees have been suspended, adding however that he did not believe that top management could have been aware of the scam.

He said in an interview published Wednesday by the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung that engine development is “a complex process” and that these were tasks in which “a director is not directly involved”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Horn too said Thursday that it was not a decision of top management to install the defeat devices. It was a “couple of software engineers who put (the devices) in,” he told US lawmakers.

German media reported Thursday that Volkswagen had not only deliberately done that for the US market, but had also intentionally sought to cheat emissions tests in Europe.

“Without the cheating software, the affected cars would not have been authorised under the Euro 5 emissions regulation,” said the newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

A VW spokesman said whether the defeat devices were activated in Europe was still the subject of investigations. He added that it remained “legally unclear if the device was forbidden under European rules”.

ADVERTISEMENT

The US legislators, saying Volkswagen dealers in the United States were stuck with cars they cannot sell, asked Horn if the company would replace them, or those of consumers saddled with the tainted vehicles.

Horn replied: “No. Our plan is not to buy back the inventory. Our plan is to fix the cars.”

He said for those of the most recent model years, the problem requires adjusting the software, which can be done by mid-2016.

But for 430,000 vehicles, it will take more adjustment and time, over one year.

In Germany, Volkswagen submitted its plans and timetable to bring vehicles into compliance on Wednesday. It plans to begin recalling affected vehicles from January, but admitted that it would only complete the refitting by the end of 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group has set aside 6.5 billion euros ($7.3 billion) in the third quarter over the affair, but that would only likely cover repairs of affected vehicles.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Miami-Dade cop relieved of duty after punching irate woman at Florida airport

Published

on

A bad situation turned worse, after a woman missed her flight at Miami International Airport. When police were called, things got even worse.

According to the Miami Herald, body-camera footage, which surfaced Wednesday evening, showed the officer hitting the woman yelling at him.

“You acting like you white when you really Black...what you want to do?” the woman without a mask says.

She then stepped very close to the officer, putting her face against his and that's when he struck her in the face.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Appellate Judge says Mary Trump’s tell-all book can be released

Published

on

Yesterday, a judge paused Mary Trump's tell-all book on President Donald Trump and his family, but Wednesday evening, a New York appellate judge ruled that Simon & Schuster could move forward with releasing the book.

According to the New York Times, Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man will be released in four weeks, on schedule.

"Justice Alan Scheinkman’s ruling, however, put off addressing a central aspect of the bitter spat about the manuscript that has been roiling all month in the Trump family: whether, by writing the book, Ms. Trump violated a confidentiality agreement put in place nearly 20 years ago after a struggle over the will of her grandfather, Fred Trump Sr., Donald Trump’s father," the report said.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump staff had an inquisition for healthcare workers for Tulsa rally — demanding to know if they leaked staff COVID story

Published

on

President Donald Trump was so incensed that the media learned of his staffers who caught COVID-19 in Tulsa, Oklahoma that he had a kind of inquisition for healthcare workers to investigate if they linked the story.

The Washington Post reported Wednesday that those familiar to his reaction said that outside of the BOK center, Trump campaign staff were being tested before the event. When the information was released, they scrambled, quizzing who leaked the information about the positive cases.

Healthcare workers were "then given a different list of people to test, according to two people with direct knowledge of the events who, like others in this story, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe internal conversations," said the Post.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image